It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:41

Help needed - Seiko LCD M159-5039

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

S2gonzo

Help needed - Seiko LCD M159-5039

Post12 Feb 2007, 21:28

I have one of these belonging to my Father.....

It's been languishing in a drawer with a dead battery for a long time and I managed to dig it out with the idea to restore it to its former glory. I removed the old battery (which was still in good shape and even had a tiny bit of charge left in it) and upon fitting the new battery the watch fired into life.

However.... Only one of the buttons works (the left front which operates the light). The other buttons push in fine and still have a nice soft action but they do nothing at all, so at this moment I cannot set the correct time or operate any of the watches functions.

I carefully removed the rear housing but can see nothing obviously amiss and can't get to the movement itself as it seems to be locked into the back plate by an unremovable crown.

I realise this is some pretty basic information but has anyone got any pointers of where to start?

Ps. I would also be interested in pointers towards a possible new crystal as you can clearly see the original is pretty much done for.

Higgie

Site Sponsor

Site Sponsor

Post12 Feb 2007, 22:01

On the PCB there is a hole next to the crown, stick a needle into the hole and push gently, at this moment the crown should come loose and you can pull it out.

Next, you can take out the module and remove the front buttons by removing the tiny ¾ rings that are around the buttons ( don't know how they are called ) Push the to the side with a small screwdriver. Be careful not to lose these, these are spring loaded and can "jump" away. Next take out the buttons and clean them and refurbish the case.

Be careful not to make the inside of the case wet, because water can get under the "dial" making stains on it. It's better to remove the crystal if you are going to polish/brush it.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Feb 2007, 00:16

The full technical manual for this watch is available as a download on the Seiko Australia service website- can't remember the exact address- think it is http://service.seiko.com.au and follow the technical information tabs- saves so much trouble when trying to dismantle these old Seikos!

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Feb 2007, 14:16

WOW!!! :shock:

Thanks for a very cool and useful link.

Return to Electronical