It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:08

Experience repairing Sanyo modules?

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

redled

Techie

Techie

Experience repairing Sanyo modules?

Post05 Mar 2007, 14:06

Does anyone have experience with these? I have one, it looks like a quality module, but it appears dead. There's no battery corrosion that I can see. It looks like it ought to work. Can anyone give me hints on what to look for as far as failure modes?

Thanks
Steve

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

re: Experience repairing Sanyo modules?

Post05 Mar 2007, 19:27

I've got one of these as well, one minute its working perfectly next its dead I've tried everything from testing the tracks to replacing the crystal. Of all the modules to die it had to be this one... :cry:

It had the letter day of the week and will be impossible to replace.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post05 Mar 2007, 20:30

If it seems completely dead, it could indicate a dead quartz oscillator.

Depending on the module, some Sanyo's oscillators can be a bit tricky to wrestle in and out of place. Sometimes it makes it easier to "wrestle" out of place if you begin by removing the excess solder with a de-soldering bulb. Once you put the new crystal in place, you can then re-solder it in.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post05 Mar 2007, 23:55

Does anyone know the frequency of this crystal? it's a can type, with 'NDK 59F' on it. Those mumbers make me think it may not be 32kHz.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post06 Mar 2007, 04:09

I am far from the last word on Sanyo's, but I have taken a lot of them apart and have never seen anything different than a 32 Khz oscillator.

notonly1

Techie

Techie

Re: re: Experience repairing Sanyo modules?

Post06 Mar 2007, 05:39

redled wrote:Does anyone know the frequency of this crystal? it's a can type, with 'NDK 59F' on it. Those mumbers make me think it may not be 32kHz.

You have a 32.768kHz module made by the Japanese company of NDK. The 59F is a date code. It means it was made in May of 1979. The "F" denotes the country it was made in outside of Japan, but I don't know which one.[/u]

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post06 Mar 2007, 14:13

Using magnification, check that the solder around where the quartz crystal is connected, isn't lose. Sometimes it comes lose in that area on the Sanyo's. I found several of these modules years ago and half of them were dead. I was unable to revive most of them, even with a new QC...Which aren't easy to replace on these. I wish I had them today, since my repair skills are more improved but I think in most cases these modules die easily because all the guts (main IC, etc, etc) are right under the batteries. Any little bit of leakage and it's game over.

M

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: re: Experience repairing Sanyo modules?

Post06 Mar 2007, 14:25

[quote="HDLED"] Sometimes it makes it easier to "wrestle" out of place if you begin by removing the excess solder with a de-soldering bulb. /quote]

An alternative to using a desoldering bulb is desoldering braid - it is just as fast and time tested....pickes up solder where a bulb can't get suction. I explain it's usage here http://www.thedigitalwatch.com/QuickTip.htm

32,768Hz is right for that module.

leddwatch

Banned

Post07 Mar 2007, 00:56

I have a good supply of nos Sanyo modules which I would sell, not because I want the money, I would sooner hoard the modules, but to help someone who wanted to get their own watch going. Therefore people requesting a price for ten will be ignored!!

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post07 Mar 2007, 01:40

I'd be interested, do you have the dot and line segment modules.

leddwatch

Banned

Post07 Mar 2007, 21:30

I have these for sale at £25 each, inc postage, this is the price that I have set with a couple of forum users who have pm'd me.

I have a supply of greens as well, if anyone wants one of those they'll have to make me a serious offer!

Return to Electronical