It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:44

Imado module problems

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Imado module problems

Post15 Mar 2007, 01:44

Hello. I have an Imado with a tempermental module - pressing the only control button, at 1 o'clock, makes the display flicker on. When I stop pressing, the display flickers off again. Changing the battery makes no difference, and sometimes I have to press the a few times to make the display come on. I have found this problem in some of my watches when i've not worn them for a while, and have fixed it by wearing them, but that doesn't help here though. THe module is very clean, so it shouldn't be a corrosion. Any ideas please?

Alternatively, anyone with a imado module for sale or trade, or a module that will fit please :cry: ? The watch looks very similar to this one, only the face has a colour panel, with only a rectangular window to show the display (although i'm sure the actual module part is the same in both).
Courtesy of ledwatches.net

And thislooks just like the module.
The other day, my computer beat me at chess. It was rubbish at kick boxing though.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

re: Imado module problems

Post15 Mar 2007, 06:12

I like these modules. They were made by a company called Mostek. They are usually pretty reliable but the very early ones aren't. (Especially the rare two fuction button variety). When you say the display flickers, are you getting the time/date or just random numbers?

M

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post15 Mar 2007, 10:14

One reason for display flickering can be oxidation of contacts, especially on the buttons. Try cleaning all blank metal parts on the buttons inside and the contacts they push on.

leddwatch

Banned

Post15 Mar 2007, 10:47

I seem to remember that this one shares a module type with the cheap Bulova led, the flat one, not the drivers style, theres often some cheapies on eBay

leddwatch

Banned

Post15 Mar 2007, 11:01

Further to my last post, Im sure Imado leds had the same module as this watch, can anyone confirm this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bulova-LED-man-Bracelet-Vintage-Rare-watch-NR_W0QQitemZ150101597347

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Mar 2007, 11:25

Hi, I'm a fan of these modules as well. The imado ones are often put together in a slightly different way from the bulova ones as Imados tend to have a red lense on the watch and battery hatches on the back.

On the Imado style modules there is a small rubber spacer in the middle on the back which is sometimes missing. This makes contact with the caseback and holds the module steady in the watch. Without it they tend to flicker as the module is wobbling about inside the case.

If this watch has the bulova style module (red front) then its important that the four elements fit together loosely (red front, circuit board, plastic retainer and battery clip. If they fit together too tightly then the batteries can crack the circuit board when the back goes on (no give). Quite often with a very clean none working one of these you will find a micro crack on the circuit board by shining a light on it at a 45 degree angle.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post16 Mar 2007, 00:01

these watches take the same module.
imado, bulova and probably some other as well.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post16 Mar 2007, 19:04

Hi folks, sorry for not getting back to you - I was away from my PC - but thanks for all the sugestions. azimuth_pl, that's exactly my module, do you, or anyone else have one to sell/trade? I'll take a close look at my module to see if the ruber spacer is there, and if there's a micro crack on the circut board, but any repairs other than battery changing is beyond me :cry: I'd really like to get it back up and running, as it's a pretty neat looking watch, so please help if you can. I'll post a pic in the gallery, when I get the time. I'd send the module off for repair (of course i'll pay) if anyone is offeing, but it seems to me that it'll be easier to simply buy a new suitable module? Cheers everyone
The other day, my computer beat me at chess. It was rubbish at kick boxing though.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post16 Mar 2007, 20:29

Oh send it to any one of us. :) I repair these all the time and Ed or anyone replying here can do the same. But I personally would like to know exactly what you mean by it is flickering. Does it show the time? Do you get seconds? Etc.

Later,

Jeff

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post16 Mar 2007, 23:59

Usually a new quartz makes these modules work again.
Check if the quartz tube is not shortcircuiting the circuit board - the quartz should have some sort of plastic insulation.
Some Bulovas have lost the connector plate on the back and perhaps the Imado case is built similar (never had one) so the batteries might rattle inside.
As mentioned, aside cleaning the buttons and battery pads - also check the paths on the board if some are broken for some reason.

depending on the fault it's more affordable to find a new one. they appear once a month and sometimes even 5-6 at once from different sellers.

Return to Electronical