It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 16:57

Hughes LED Calculator Problem

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

redled

Techie

Techie

Hughes LED Calculator Problem

Post01 Apr 2007, 13:05

Hi, I recently put batteries into my Hughes LED caluculator and it seemed to be working well (time and calculator) but a few hours later, all I could see was one zero after hitting the time button. I then replaced all the batteries and got nothing. I'm thinking maybe it's a bad crystal, but does anyone have more specific information? Also, this being a Hughes module, will the crystal be the same higher frequency of the other Hughes modules?

Also, i've got a couple of other Hughes LED calculators with a particular problem: the top segment of the rightmost digit is out. I believe i've traced this to a cracked module casing (the yellow plastic), but this plastic doesn't look to me that it would want to play nice with any kind of glue. Can anyone offer any advice for this problem? Thanks

Steve

redled

Techie

Techie

re: Hughes LED Calculator Problem

Post01 Apr 2007, 18:33

It begins to look more like the crystal. Put batteries in and I get 3 'scanning' zeros for a time display. If it was working normally i'd have three zeros simultaneously for an unset watch. It looks fairly easy to replace the crystal, it's easily accesible on a flex circuit.

I just hope someone here has done it and can offer some pointers, i'd really, really hate to brick this thing! HELP!

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post08 Jun 2007, 23:27

Hi redled, I have a few LED's but no calculator models (yet!). One of my Sears (Hughes module) phasar's just took a dump - and it's acting just as you described. I don't know what the problem is, it has been working fine for about a year now. I'm hoping it's just the batteries, but the LED digits are so bright it looks doubtful. My other LED's get very faded display before the battery dies on them, so it may be something more serious. :?

Anyway - I guess what I'm saying is I don't know what your problem is but hopefully someone will post a few suggestions to your problem because I could use them too. :(

redled

Techie

Techie

Post08 Jun 2007, 23:43

Yes, hopefully so, and welcome to the forum.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post11 Jun 2007, 22:40

Thank you redled - it's a pleasure to be here! :D

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post21 Jun 2007, 01:35

most common hints to solve problems with Hughes:
- correct/bend the end of the battery plate on the left battery well pointing (-) downwards
- change quartz
- open circuit cover (be extremely careful) and:
- check if all wires are connected to the board
- check if some wires are not shortcurcuiting eachother

if one segment is missing on one digit then you have to repair the wire for that segment.
if the same segment is missing for all digits then you have to repair the wire on one of the tracks coming out from the IC/chip.
use silver-epoxy.

some plastics do not take any kind of glue - then you need to buy a very expensive Loctite glue for that particular plastic type or melt that plastic with a piece of metal heated by a gas-torch.

Return to Electronical