It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:35

I'm new, can someone help with this Timex

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Charlie

I'm new, can someone help with this Timex

Post13 Apr 2007, 14:11

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0099599014

I just got the above Timex Led. Can tell you guys know everything about these things and hope this isn't too simple a question. When it arrived a few days ago it worked as great as it looks. But the DOW was wrong, I pushed the setting button and it went crazy cycleling through all modes. So I opened it up and put in new batteries, when I opened it a small C-shaped metal clip with a round notch popped out. Put that behind the time button where I figured it went I hope. Without it it was on all the time. OK its set now and works fine but push time and it stays on and doesn't shut off by itself like it did before I pushed the setting button for the first time.I have to manually turn it off. I can live with this I guess, but I know it was shutting off on it's own. Probably something simple. Thank You, Guys.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

re: I'm new, can someone help with this Timex

Post13 Apr 2007, 22:27

The metal clip that fell out is the spring for the button, you must not have put it back correctly so when you press the button now it's not springing back out, thats why the time is staying on, take the back off again and press the button and you should see thats its not springing in and out when you press and release the button, try aligning the clip so that it puts tension on the button and acts as a spring.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post16 Apr 2007, 11:12

compare with the spring on the other button.

btw, you paid quite a lot of money for a Timex LED :shock:

redled

Techie

Techie

Post16 Apr 2007, 13:38

Those Timex modules are tricky to deal with because of that spring mechanism. If you can't set it right my advice is not to force anything - you shouldn't have to if you're doing it right. If you're having problems post back here and i'll post a picture of how it should look.

BTW, I think you paid a bit too much. In circumstances like that, what I do is buy a couple more at lower prices so my average cost goes down! That's just me though :idea:

CompuChron

Techie

Techie

: I'm new, can someone help with this Timex

Post16 Apr 2007, 13:40

I think if you have any problems with it , send it back to the seller and don't kill it yourself.
For 180$ , there should be some kind of warranty.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Apr 2007, 19:07

Hi, the button on these Timex watches has a notch in it to engage with the spring piece. To refit it, use a needle or fine screwdriver to push the button fully out, centre the spring over the button with the two prongs facing towards you and lightly press down. You should "feel" it slip into the groove with almost no resistance. Finish off by making sure the tips of the two prongs are level with the back of the module.

Conversely, do as Compuchron suggested and get the buyer to sort it out- it should not have jumped out of the case unless it was fitted the wrong way round!

Nice example of a very late Timex model, almost the last judging by the three ring back.

Charlie

Post19 Apr 2007, 14:48

Thanks very much for your help people. You have more than answered my question. I am going to wait til these batteries die then I will reposition that spring. There were not two springs, just one so I guess the other one was missing. As for paying too much, it wasn't to me, this one looks brand new, never been worn. I've seen so many that really look 30 years old including the one I wore in the 70's and still have in a drawer that doesn't light up anymore. To me it's not just a Timex, it's a memory. I will wear it everyday. Thanks again fellow LED lovers!!!!!!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post19 Apr 2007, 15:58

Charlie:

You may think you'll wait, but understand, nothing is holding your button in! PM me and I will mail you another spring for free. You lose the button and you will be seriously bummed(I have those too, but at that point I'll charge you, just on general principle because you waited :lol: ) A very small dot of silicone where the end of the spring touches the module and another one or two where the module touches the case will stop the module from flopping out when you change the batteries, which leads to the tension on the springs being gone, which is when they pop off.(Always let silicone dry brfore closing a watch case)

Don't feel bad about the price - you know, I have found very few of those Timex dead, their display is bright, the module is a clean design and they usually have DOW feature.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Electronical