It is currently 05 May 2024, 04:22

How do I get a button out???

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

How do I get a button out???

Post23 Jul 2007, 22:38

I've been wondering about this for a while and now I need to replace a button on a Rodania NS led (like a Novus). How on earth can I get bog standard buttons in and out of cases without breaking them? I've tried pushing , pulling and gently unscrewing but I'm getting nowhere. Any help here would be much appreciated.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

: How do I get a button out???

Post24 Jul 2007, 01:49

First go fetch a large hammer and a chisel, ok poor joke... some buttons are held from behind by a tiny cir-clip? like a little washer with a cut out that slides onto a shaft, most other buttons I've seen that don't have this set up appear to be impossible to remove/replace, sorry my explanation is not very good, but hopefully you'll get the idea.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post24 Jul 2007, 14:29

For the later, that Richard mentioned, watch makers have a tool that will get those out, but they are hard to find. Zantech made a nifty little button press in the 70's and I love it! I have a couple of them (one strictly for my collection) and I haven't come across a button yet that I can't get out, with this handy little gadget.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Jul 2007, 15:30

Thanks for the replys guys. So watch buttons are in two parts held together by a very, very tight fit eh? I guess I gotta get me a button press. Yet another search to add to the ever increasing list of things to google/ebay etc.

notonly1

Techie

Techie

Post25 Jul 2007, 04:54

I suggest that you try to obtain a copy Henry B. Fried's book "Repairing Quartz Watches" (ISBN# 0918845065). Until recently it was still in print, but I'm not sure if it still is. Try your local book store. If you don't have any luck there you can try abebooks.com. They have used copies available. He's devoted a whole chapter on "Digital Case Command Buttons" with excellent pictures of the different types of buttons and the tools necessary to remove and install them. There's also a lot of other great information about repairing quartz watches in general. Good luck. :)

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jul 2007, 09:34

Thanks for the tip - I'll certainly check it out. I guess that it's not a coincidence that MJ's Zantech press is called the "Zantech "Fried" button press" eh?

(One sold on ebay 2 days ago for 36 dollars. Another example of my superb lack of timing :roll: )

Lillegutt

Techie

Techie

Re: : How do I get a button out???

Post05 Feb 2008, 13:37

notonly1 wrote:I suggest that you try to obtain a copy Henry B. Fried's book "Repairing Quartz Watches" (ISBN# 0918845065).

it's right here. Just a click and a creditcard number away...

JHH

Edit: Here's another one that went on ebay some days ago....

Return to Electronical