It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 15:08

Replacing glass

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

davefinic

Nerd

Nerd

Replacing glass

Post23 Aug 2007, 08:46

Unfortunatly the glass has fallen off my Novus Hex, but lukily ive still got it and its not damaged.
What should I use to remve the old glue and what type of glue should I use to refit it.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

: Replacing glass

Post30 Aug 2007, 17:39

no replies yet? strange...

try acetone or if that won't help - heat up the case (without the module) and remove the glue with a scalpel or anything flat and similar (a Stanley knife?)
use any A+B transparent epoxy that is hard enough to keep the case watertight.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 Aug 2007, 10:10

Also worth mentioning that the glue you apply will show through the glass once cured. (The glass used on Novus watches isn't very dark and the case + glue can be seen underneath). When you apply the glue use a very fine artists brush to paint the glue onto the underside of the glass, trying to stay as close to the edge as possible. Then do the same on the case, leave it for a couple of minutes then press together.

Azimuth is spot on with how to remove the stuff. I use a flat razor blade (disposable gillette or similar). Less chance of accidental scratching (although more chance of cutting your finger off).

davefinic

Nerd

Nerd

Post31 Aug 2007, 10:22

Thanks for the tips :-D

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post02 Sep 2007, 00:24

nice hint but that artist brush will have to be disposed once the glue cures or hopefully cleaned if you have a proper solvent for that particular glue. I try to keep costs as low as possible.

btw. the glue shouldn't be visible if you apply just the proper amount - there won't be any bubbles visible and the glue excess will not flow over the display edge on the case
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Sep 2007, 10:11

that artist brush will have to be disposed once the glue cures or hopefully cleaned if you have a proper solvent for that particular glue.

I use Araldite A+B epoxy. Warm water and washing up liquid does the trick for me: I've been using the same brush for ages. I started using it on Pulsars as it's a good way to apply glue to the case without getting too much in there.

davefinic

Nerd

Nerd

Re: : Replacing glass

Post08 Sep 2007, 09:18

[quote="digibloke"]Also worth mentioning that the glue you apply will show through the glass once cured. (The glass used on Novus watches isn't very dark and the case + glue can be seen underneath). When you apply the glue use a very fine artists brush to paint the glue onto the underside of the glass, trying to stay as close to the edge as possible. Then do the same on the case, leave it for a couple of minutes then press together.

Great tip with the artists brush THANKS Digibloke.
Impleased that one of my everday wearers is now back in good working order. :-D

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post15 Oct 2007, 10:02

interesting to note that the novus hex models were manufactured in different qualities.i have seen the high polished hex crystal (crystal set open at the sides)in all s/s and a silver coloured base metal bezel version.also the large hex model comes with a non swiss and a swiss made case with a very attractive swirl pattern engraved under the glueing surface for the crystal.could this have been in response to the unsightly glue marks see on some versions.? strange that novus made better quality cases for the same watches.
they still remain my favourite led watches.if you look at their highest quality examples (quality varies with individual models)they are simply exquisite.this hex model with the swirl pattern, along with the swiss made,, "gem-cut" case model with its thick glass crystal ,all s/s construction and threaded "o" ring back plate seal makes it among the best quality led watches i have seen

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post15 Oct 2007, 16:59

azimuth_pl wrote:try acetone

That could be damaging to any logo that is not high-temperature baked on.

The "heat in oven method"(350 f.) won't disrupt most logos and loosens by both softening the epoxy and by the high rate of the case's expansion compared to the low rate of the glass's expansion. 8-)

Digibloke is quite correct - stay close to the edge, you only need a thin bead. I personally use pointed wodden toothpicks(same for mixing the glue in small batches, on a Post-it note), and gently paint using the end or edge of that. Isopropyl alcohol(90%+) for cleaning wet epoxy.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post15 Oct 2007, 18:01

you're right Ed, but I guess you would be applying acetone to the bottom/opposite side of the crystal :)
btw. I have never come across a logo that would disappear after applying acetone. perhaps on plastic crystals?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : Replacing glass

Post15 Oct 2007, 21:36

azimuth_pl wrote:btw. I have never come across a logo that would disappear after applying acetone. perhaps on plastic crystals?

You didn't hear that one about the dodgy Pulsar screens?
You sleeping or what!! :-P
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post15 Oct 2007, 22:51

:lol: I need to wake up 8-)

Return to Electronical