It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:02

Faulty Bulova display

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

anthib

Faulty Bulova display

Post24 Sep 2007, 01:56

Hi. I recently purchased a Bulova LED, which worked fine until the batteries ran down. The batteries were replaced by a jeweller, but afterwards the display, when on, just ran crazy, like a stopwatch running.

There is a weird loose springsteel clip in the back of the watch, and I was wondering whether this is standard, or not. If anyone has seen this problem before, and can offer help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance... from South Africa

I have pictures of the inside of the watch and the clip here: http://albums.mweb.co.za/ViewImage.aspx ... e2320a8504

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

: Faulty Bulova display

Post24 Sep 2007, 07:09

Does the module say Mostek on the IC? (Big black square) (In very small print). I don't want to sign up to view your photos. :-D

Anyway, if the time is running ramped, it might be the quartz crystal gone aray; although the time going that quickly is unusual. But the quartz crystals on those watches can go very easily.

Also note; that the modules are very "dumb" when you first install batteries. You can get funny characters or odd numbers, until you start setting it. But of course, that's not what you're describing.

Jeff

anthib

Post24 Sep 2007, 22:49

Hi, Jeff.

Thanks very much for your interest and your speedy reply.

Sorry, I didn't realise that you had to "sign up" in order to view the photos... can I please email them to you.

I can't see the IC because it seems as if everything is solidly encased in plastic, and I'm new to this, so I thought photo's would be the best route. If it is the quartz crystal, is it possible to replace, and where would one get a replacement?

Thanks once again!

Antony

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post25 Sep 2007, 05:33

Yup, that's what I mean, the plastic housing of the IC. Anyway, if it's this kind of watch with the clear outter crystal, then that's the one I'm talking about. It will be signed "Bulova Quartz" on the front. Here's a pic of one:

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/bulova4.htm

Jeff

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post27 Sep 2007, 10:47

the Bulova with the metal spring on the back is the Mostek module.
the spring closes the circuit so it has be to placed properly.
in most cases, it's the quartz that needs to be replaced.
it saves 80% of these modules. some watchmakers might know how to do it but an electronics shop will be more skilled.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post28 Sep 2007, 16:53

Return to Electronical