It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:20

Replacement LED crystal

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Replacement LED crystal

Post31 Dec 2007, 23:54

Are replacement red crystals still available for LED watches, I have a few old LED's that are let down by the scratches on the crystals, I've tried Displex and Polywatch polish with limited success - it got rid of the scratches but also got rid of the smooth top coating on the crystal, without which the crystal looks just as bad as it did with the scratches.
It's the common round shaped crystals that I need, I've tried EBAY & google without any luck.
Any Ideas?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: Replacement LED crystal

Post01 Jan 2008, 05:19

bucko170 wrote: I've tried Displex and Polywatch polish with limited success - it got rid of the scratches but also got rid of the smooth top coating on the crystal, without which the crystal looks just as bad as it did with the scratches.

I'm wondering what grade of Displex you were using - most plastic polishes come in course(usuaually white-ish) and fine(usuaully reddish/orange). And a final polishing is usually needed after that. And no power buffers - they can quickly built up too much heat and leave a less than pretty finish. I discussed some of it here.
http://www.thedigitalwatch.com/Archives ... ip_003.htm
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: Replacement LED crystal

Post04 Jan 2008, 22:38

Will the method described restore a crystal even though the protective layer has been removed?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post05 Jan 2008, 07:37

bucko:

Few(none?) of the plastic crystals came with a protective coating back then. However, it has been a common practice by some, to paint over a scratched up plastic crystal with a clear acrylic laquer or clear nail polish. That is probably what you are seeing. The plastic can be brought back to a very nice shine.....like anything, it takes practice.
:idea: Get it as shiny as you can and wear it for a while. Then try again. 8-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jan 2008, 14:15

some producers used very hard acrylic crystals where Polywatch/Displex will require a long time to achieve a good result. so if they are very scratched, I'd recommend to grind them down with some abrasive paper or sponge.
Polish afterwards.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post10 Jan 2008, 05:16

bucko, I've used Janvil as recommended in the Tips section of this website on my Texas Instruments LED crystals and it worked great. That another possible product you could try.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post10 Feb 2008, 20:29

Followed the advice on the page and had a go at cleaning the crystals with fantastic results - didn't realise they could look so good again!
Thanks for all the words of wisdom.
I used a combination of fine wet & dry abrasive paper and a plastic restorer called Novus.
I couldn't find Janvil!
Thanks Bucko

xevious

Geek

Geek

Post11 Feb 2008, 18:13

Bucko, thanks for posting a follow-up with your results. :-D I'm glad you were able to restore your watch crystal.

Does the Novus polish actually eliminate fine surface scratches and is sufficient to use if no deeper scratches exist? I've got a few such minor blemishes on my Casio LCD watch and using a fine grit sandpaper seems a bit of an extreme.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post11 Feb 2008, 23:03

The Novus kit has 3 different bottles, which are -

Stage 3 - To remove deep scratches.
Stage 2 - To remove light scratches.
Stage 1 - To polish and protect.

I used fine abrasive paper to begin with which leaves very fine scratches on the crystal giving it a 'cloudy' appearance, I then used Stage 2 which removed the 'cloudy' appearance and restored the translucency back to the crystal, finally finishing off with Stage 1 to give it a final buff.

It worked well for me - loads better than displex & polywatch.

xevious

Geek

Geek

Post12 Feb 2008, 00:06

Ah, ok... so the fine sanding essentially removes a microscopic layer that equalizes any existing scratches, followed by the #2 Novus to then smooth out the fine abrasions created by the sandpaper?

I discovered that I actually have this stuff (I had used it on fountain pen bodies about a year ago) and will first try #2 on its own to see if that does anything. If not, then I'll give maybe 12000 grit sandpaper a try beforehand. What grit sandpaper did you use?

Return to Electronical