It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:39

Dim display on a P2

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Lillegutt

Techie

Techie

Dim display on a P2

Post02 May 2008, 15:23

My P2 is somewhat dim on the display... Which resistance values should I be reading from the photoresistor in dark and light conditions?

It is the 'new' type of one button P2 which shares module platform with the P3. (Photoresistor on the side of the display)

JHH

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Dim display on a P2

Post02 May 2008, 18:08

Depends if it is in the module(and making proper contact) or out.

Whilst in/mounted, there is a degree of electrical "bleed" thru the circuit. Normal (mounted) values are 25-30k under light, 250-300k in total darkness.

Unmounted you will generally find the values to average 10-15k higher, i.e. 35-40k under light, 265-280 in total darkness. And make sure your fingers don't touch your probes while testing...you body will throw things off greatly.

If you decide to bypass it you can either: go over it with silver epoxy(messy but effective); gently push it off and go the same direction as the resistor with some silver epoxy; or. look at the circuit path closely and you will see the path from the top of the resistor travels down(main IC at bottom)along the side of the resistor, coming within a hair's breadth of the other end, making a microscopic dot of silver epoxy all that is needed to close the circuit. Of course, you could alway substitute a 25k resistor and keep things virtually within original spec, albiet always at brightest setting. Considering their age, the last solution may put the least amount of strain on the driver circuit for the display... :-?

"Whilst" - that's a word that english speaking American's don't use much...we generally would say "while". Sorry to digress, the commentary on folks with english as a second language got me thinking about the small differences....
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Electronical