It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:02

Pictures of a Synchronar demolition

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

your_man_in_Hamburg

Techie

Techie

Pictures of a Synchronar demolition

Post04 May 2008, 00:01

Hi all,

First of all I must apologise for the long delay, I admire your patience. About a year ago, I tried to repair my Synchronar 2100 Mk IV. At one time or another, I probably promised an exhaustive, illustrated report about my undertakings. The repair project is dead, buried, and long since cold, but I haven't managed to get around writing that report.

...and I probably never will. The repair failed, the watch is dead, but I did take a few pictures, almost 100, that might be of interest to some of you. The following hard-to-read URL points to a file hosting site to which I have uploaded them: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c118d9352f09ab6e7069484bded33bcd805067f90fd2b1eb

Some things might be of interest, even though the actual repair failed.
    * I am very pleased with the lever of control I attained with the milling equipment I used. This does not exlude the possibility that better methods of opening a Synchronar exist.
    * The hardening of the rubber filling in my watch was clearly disturbed by fluids leaking from the batteries. Near the negative pole of the batteries, the side where they have a seal, the rubber was not. That is, not rubbery. In those areas, the rubber was more like a sticky goo. This is kinda hard to illustrate with still photography, but on some of the pictures you can see how nicely the surrounding rubber compound has recorded the text on the positive side of the battery. The "goo" near the negative side was incapable of recording similar high quality impressions.
    * Many pictures appear to be mindless repetitions, which they sometimes are. Many times, however, have I tried to vary the lighting, viewing angle, etc in order to provide more information for the viewer. Some things are simply very "simple" to see in real life, but hard to capture with a single photograph.
    * The Proxxon milling and grinding tool is attached to the drilling rig with the help of a special converter plug. It is little more than an aluminium cylinder with a hole in the middle, but it is no standard accessory.

The +90 pictures have been grouped into 10 tar archives, simply because I wanted to avoid the work of uploading the files individually. In order to make your downloading experience somewhat amusing and unusal, the pictures were sorted into the archives based on the last digit in their file names. This way, you will get a little of everything, whichever archive you choose to dowload first :roll:

Eh, one more thing, and I may regret telling you this. Before I let the milling tool dig into my Synchronar, I practised by milling a replacement Lexan shell. In order to do this, I created a simple 2D CAD drawing of the top shell. I should really upload that too, but now it's kinda late in the evening, so I am afraid you will have to apply a little more of the admirable patience of yours :roll:

charger105

Guru

Guru

: Pictures of a Synchronar demolition

Post05 May 2008, 10:19

Interesting photos. Thanks for sharing them YMIH. It's a shame you had no luck repairing it.
I'm about to receive an old Sunwatch and have been thinking about the best way to crack it open. I think I might use a Dremel tool.

Any tips or advice on this procedure would be appreciated.
Rgds.

Synchroserious

Wizard

Wizard

: Pictures of a Synchronar demolition

Post06 May 2008, 19:20

Quote from the bogus revue " Eventually,at around 300 m immersion,the batteries will begin to leak" I agree that this is where the demolition began.

I have not seen the "Few,almost 100 photos" and don't need to but it may be interesting to see the result of the abuse.

No other module in the same potted group has failed or had such excessive bubbles and bursted batteries.

Lesson here? Don't immerse the watch more than 750 ft(280m). :roll:
Membership status is unknown due to lack of communication.

your_man_in_Hamburg

Techie

Techie

Re: : Pictures of a Synchronar demolition

Post08 May 2008, 20:26

Synchroserious wrote:Quote from the bogus revue " Eventually,at around 300 m immersion,the batteries will begin to leak" I agree that this is where the demolition began.

I suppose most readers of my review http://www.ledwatches.net/articles/synchronar_review.html does not arrive at the same conclusion as Howard. No, I cannot take credit of having conducted pressure testing of a Synchronar. The information that the batteries will start to leak at a diving depth of ca 300m, comes from the manufacturer. Since I had no reason not to trust this piece of information, nor any wish to bust my watch directly after it was delivered, I did not subject it to anything, really, before the bitter end when I had a shot at replacing the quartz crystal.
I have not seen the "Few,almost 100 photos" and don't need to but it may be interesting to see the result of the abuse.

Well, given that you failed to see the difference between abuse, and a plug made out of black plastic -- by the way, this plug is perfectly visible in some of the pictures that I have uploaded -- even when you had the watch under a microscope in your workshop, I doubt you will "see" anything in my pictures which hasn't alreade made an appearance in your vivid imagination.
No other module in the same potted group has failed or had such excessive bubbles and bursted batteries.

Well, that doesn't help me, does it? (Besides, how can you know that? Have you called every other buyer and asked?)
Lesson here? Don't immerse the watch more than 750 ft(280m). :roll:

I'd say, don't buy watches from producers with erratic quality controls.

Yours

Johannes

p.s. My review still includes a painfully old address to RTC/CCC. I have tried to ask Guy Ball to change that, long ago, but nothing happened.

Return to Electronical