It is currently 10 May 2024, 03:10

Battery voltage question.

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Battery voltage question.

Post15 Dec 2008, 18:26

Hello all,

If my Varta V80 is sitting @ 1.02v not connected or charged instead of 1.25v, does that mean it's done for? I've got 3 batteries here that seem to be no good anymore.

TIA,
Mike

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: Battery voltage question.

Post15 Dec 2008, 19:50

1.02V is a normal voltage for a discharged NiMH/NiCd. Even 0.9V is still ok.
1.25V is the average voltage during discharge.
NiMH full charge voltage (no load current) is about 1.35-1.4V, discharging below 1.0V should be avoided.

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : Battery voltage question.

Post15 Dec 2008, 20:34

Okay, so I should be able to attach a 3v source and recharge it back to 1.25v without any problems. What was happening was I'd hook up the batteries to my Synchronar and the display would show up and just drain. I started a thread in the Synchronar section about this. Thanks, rewolf!

Mike

rewolf wrote:1.02V is a normal voltage for a discharged NiMH/NiCd. Even 0.9V is still ok.
1.25V is the average voltage during discharge.
NiMH full charge voltage (no load current) is about 1.35-1.4V, discharging below 1.0V should be avoided.

Synchroserious

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Dec 2008, 05:01

If you are only charging one 1.2 V cell you only need 1.5 volts.

Most distributors have them fully charged before shipping but not all.
Membership status is unknown due to lack of communication.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post16 Dec 2008, 08:38

Hi Mike.
Getting back to your original problem, are you saying that when you connect fresh batteries, the display lights up and stays lit until the batteries drain ?

Rgds,
Andrew.

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Dec 2008, 08:48

Hi Andrew,

No, what was happening was when I activated the time and held the switch, it was as if the SC wasn't charging the batteries, even under a bright lamp. The display would light up dim then fade away.

All seems to be better now. I used a pair of AAs to recharge the batteries that were only showing 1.0v and reconnected them to the module. I made sure the SC was outputting 3v. I just need to put the lexan case back together.

charger105 wrote:Hi Mike.
Getting back to your original problem, are you saying that when you connect fresh batteries, the display lights up and stays lit until the batteries drain ?

Rgds,
Andrew.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post16 Dec 2008, 11:03

Sully008 wrote:Okay, so I should be able to attach a 3v source and recharge it back to 1.25v without any problems....
Yes, you can do that to charge 2 cells in series, but you need to limit the charging current.
A 22 Ohm resistor in series will limit the initial charging current to max 40mA @ 3.0V source. Current at end of charge (overcharge) will be 7mA. These are the maximum allowed currents according to the datasheet.

Synchroserious wrote:If you are only charging one 1.2 V cell you only need 1.5 volts.
Yes - but again you need a limiting resistor, about 10 Ohms.

Synchroserious wrote:Most distributors have them fully charged before shipping but not all.
NiMH cells have a rather high discharge rate. If they sit in the shelf for a few months, they lose a significant amount of charge. If they sit for a year, they will be almost fully discharged.
That's why manufacturers have invented "read to use" rechargeables like Eneloop, Infinium, etc.
If you have a distributor that charges the batteries before shipping to you: try to keep him! I've never seen one that does this. Mostly it's not even possible because the batteries are in a sealed package. I'd rather return batteries that arrive in an opened package.

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Dec 2008, 16:57

rewolf wrote:
Sully008 wrote:Okay, so I should be able to attach a 3v source and recharge it back to 1.25v without any problems....
Yes, you can do that to charge 2 cells in series, but you need to limit the charging current.
A 22 Ohm resistor in series will limit the initial charging current to max 40mA @ 3.0V source. Current at end of charge (overcharge) will be 7mA. These are the maximum allowed currents according to the datasheet.

Heh, I guess I should pay attention to the safety stuff more often. :o I'll put a resistor on my charger. I just touched the +ve to the +ve of the battery and the -ve to the -ve for about 3 secs, then checked the battery voltage with my multimeter.

rewolf wrote:
Synchroserious wrote:If you are only charging one 1.2 V cell you only need 1.5 volts.
Yes - but again you need a limiting resistor, about 10 Ohms.

Synchroserious wrote:Most distributors have them fully charged before shipping but not all.
NiMH cells have a rather high discharge rate. If they sit in the shelf for a few months, they lose a significant amount of charge. If they sit for a year, they will be almost fully discharged.
That's why manufacturers have invented "read to use" rechargeables like Eneloop, Infinium, etc.
If you have a distributor that charges the batteries before shipping to you: try to keep him! I've never seen one that does this. Mostly it's not even possible because the batteries are in a sealed package. I'd rather return batteries that arrive in an opened package.

The V80s I purchased were from mouser.com and they came charged @1.25v already. They were "packaged" individually in little ziplock bags.

Return to Electronical