It is currently 10 May 2024, 18:09

Sticking Command Buttons

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Sticking Command Buttons

Post08 Jan 2009, 19:06

I think this might have been covered before but I can't seem to find it.
I have a none branded but nice quality LED gold tone watch, with a single command button at 2 o'clock and a reset button at 3 o'clock (as pictured) the watch functions perfect but the command button sticks. I have tried lubricating with a drop of watch oil and I have tried 'working it' to see if I could free it off a little but it still gets stuck in when pressed.
It only needs a little bit of assistance to get the button back out fully, but its fiddly and not practical to do it every time I want to tell the time.
Any tips, easy solutions?

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

: Sticking Command Buttons

Post08 Jan 2009, 19:55

Take the module out press the button hard in and put a drop of isopropyl alcohol (this can be bought from any chemist) on the bit that sticks out release it and do the same on the outside and work the button in and out a few times if it works properly after doing this lubricate both sides of the button, then using a drinking straw blow off the excess lubricant from the recess the button sits in. I’ve found silicon oil is a superb lubricant for the buttons.

Hope this helps... :-)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post08 Jan 2009, 20:23

Thanks Klippie.

Would any silicon oil do, gun oil?
Or is there a particular one?

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post09 Jan 2009, 00:59

Take the module out press the button hard in and put a drop of isopropyl alcohol (this can be bought from any chemist) on the bit that sticks out release it and do the same on the outside and work the button in and out a few times if it works properly after doing this lubricate both sides of the button,

For what it's worth;
I use this same method but I use WD-40. It lubricates as it 'eats up' the gunk surrounding the pusher. I then clean up the excess with a q-tip soaked in isopropyl alcohol and then lubircate the button.
This works every time.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post09 Jan 2009, 01:10

Sorry I've sent you up the wrong path with the oil I checked out the one I use and its silicon free oil I thought it said silicon oil... :oops:

The make is Hellerine M - CLICK - its for use on electrical parts but it works a treat on watch buttons.

Your watch oil will be just as good I expect.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: Sticking Command Buttons

Post09 Jan 2009, 06:04

bucko170 wrote:I think this might have been covered before but I can't seem to find it.
I have a none branded but nice quality LED gold tone watch, with a single command button at 2 o'clock and a reset button at 3 o'clock (as pictured) the watch functions perfect but the command button sticks. I have tried lubricating with a drop of watch oil and I have tried 'working it' to see if I could free it off a little but it still gets stuck in when pressed.
It only needs a little bit of assistance to get the button back out fully, but its fiddly and not practical to do it every time I want to tell the time.
Any tips, easy solutions?

It probably isn't a matter of being gunked up if you have lubricated it already. More likely it was wacked and has a raised point on the button body that catches OR the thinner end that contacts the module on the inside has a bur or a piece of "crud" on it. Close visual inspection may pinpoint the trouble area. Tip: start on the outside - the inside end of most buttons is fairly easy to screw up hopelessly and fididling with the ones that use a retaining clip is no fun even for the experienced.. Cut a strip of the finest sandpaper you can get your hands on(2000 grit is available anywhere they sell stuff for doing body work on automobile...great for sanding between layers of clearcoat or your acrylic watch crystal...anyway). Take the strip and go around the button, or you can try buffing it coming at it from the side. But don't press too hard if using a spinning buffer - you get the button spinning and it can be ruined from the heat produced in just seconds(generally "smoking" the flared tip or retain cip that keeps it from springing apart.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post09 Jan 2009, 07:54

It probably isn't a matter of being gunked up if you have lubricated it already. More likely it was wacked and has a raised point on the button body that catches OR the thinner end that contacts the module on the inside has a bur or a piece of "crud" on it.

I think this is the most likely problem as it already looks very clean and the button does a little click as if it is catching, I will try with the fine grit, then clean with the isopropyl alcohol and lubricate with the oil to finish off with, as suggested.

Thanks To All

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post10 Jan 2009, 03:10

The watch has been sanded, cleaned and lubricated and is now working perfectly - Thanks for all the tips :-D

Return to Electronical