It is currently 10 May 2024, 00:30

National Semi Module Question- Need Help!

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

LEDMan

National Semi Module Question- Need Help!

Post06 Mar 2009, 15:35

I recently received this watch from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0290502296

The seller could not open the back, but I did :-) with a little investigating where the cut out in the case was. A little leakage from the batteries but cleaned all the necessary contacts and it fired right up.

I tried a search of the forum for any relation to this problem but I did not find (at least I think) any similar post's.

I am not familiar with NatSemi's but it only shows the time with AM indicator dot, seconds and day only.

My question is: were there some of thes Mod's produced that did not show the month?

It is a little "funky" setting pattern, but everything else works fine and it diplays perfect with no missing segments and all is bright!

Any thought to all you pro's out there!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! I really appreciate all responses.

LEDMan :roll:
"Bringing the 70's back to light again!"

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

: National Semi Module Question- Need Help!

Post06 Mar 2009, 17:18

Isn't it great when you get a buy like that and it works... :-D

Does the module have a line or dot segment display with or without a colon, I must admit I've never seen what you described the only NSC modules I've got with the date function and am dot has the command button at one o'clock position or two command button type left hand button to display the date, then there is the time & seconds only modules usually dot display with no colon or am dot. Oh and the duel time line display and dot display with date/month and am dot.

Christ, I'am confused now... :roll:

Can you post a picture please.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post06 Mar 2009, 18:05

National Semi's all come with a command button at 2 o'clock and a setting button at 4 o'clock. The simplest, early one you describe is set thus:
1.Hold down setter to advance hours.
2.Hold setter and command button at 2 o'clock to advance minutes.
3. Push command button twice to show date, then press setter while holding command button, to advance date.

All other N.S. move through the various settings by pressing the setter, then holding the command button at 2 o'clock to advance the setting.

Some also come with a third button at 7 o'clock - this will either display a second time zone OR the date(very rare). Some of the dual time zones came as dual 24 hr. times, most came setup for 12hr. time.

Second time zone is changed by pressing(not holding) secondary command button at 7, whilst in the hour setting mode and then pressing command button at 2 to advance hours(only). Most will show the actual time that will be displayed while you are setting the second zone, a rare few(early) will show the offset between the two zones.

Hopefully this has been an exhaustive reading...I know typing it was.

;*
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDMan

Post06 Mar 2009, 20:36

:eek: WOW! OK I guess it is sad how much "useless' information we store in our brains huh?

Just kidding guys....thanks alot Klippe and Retroleds for your respones.

To hopefully answer your replies as follows:

1) yes klippie it is a dot segment display

2) command button is at 2 setter at 4

3) set button forwards the hour, command and set forward the minutes

4) command twice displays date only (ie) 6 (todays date) and setter to advance date, no month display at all, date by the way reads to the almost (because it is the 6th today) extreme left of the display.

:-( no picture of the mod sorry, bitch to get the back off........and it's working good minus the month (if there is one) so why f**k with it if you know what i mean!

I am up in the air with this one myself. :eek: ...never saw an LED personally that had date only without a month! For $ 8.50 and to work it was a steal...

Doing my best to shed as much info as I can explain

Thanks for taking the time and keeping your tying fingers from Arthritis setting in!

LEDMan

Post06 Mar 2009, 20:39

Klippie

PS sorry...BTW .No colon between.... just AM dot!

forgot to answer that question in the last reply

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : National Semi Module Question- Need Help!

Post06 Mar 2009, 22:55

LEDMan wrote::eek: WOW! OK I guess it is sad how much "useless' information we store in our brains huh?!
Hey, better than having to re-figure it all out again. Capacity doesn't seem to be a problem.

National Semi modules are opened by prying off the front plastic shroud - held on through three protruding plastic pins. Generally only thing holding circuit in at that point is the quartz oscillator crystal(under that sticker you see from battery side), which has silicone rubber around it for no particular reason. :-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDMan

Post06 Mar 2009, 23:04

:-D You got that right Retro! The mind is as good as only what we remember!

If I could only remember what i had for LUNCH! :lol:

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post07 Mar 2009, 02:55

Sorry I seem to have got confused when I read your watch displayed the day it had me thinking MO, TU...etc when it was the date... :oops:

Those modules are quite common I had a bit dig around and found six of them but interestingly both dot and line display modules with the am dot.

Is this what your display looks like...
ImageImage

Trying to figure out the in's and out's of modules will lead to brain fade in a very short period of time... :-?

LEDMan

Post07 Mar 2009, 17:17

Yes Klippie.....That would be the one! :-D Thanks for taking the time posting pic's and the verbage!

Greatly Appreciated! :-D

I guess I am up and running fine then according to your explanations. :-)

Do you personally like these mod's? I do like the DOT seg display!

And you were right in the previous post. It does feel great when every once in awhile when you come across one very "cheap" and it works!

I purchased this Bulova yesterday......Hopefully it just needs a cleaning and the battery spring clamp! I do like these Mostek Bulova's alot. Love the display when you get them to work....nice heavy stainless case too! Here is the watch!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0351069748

Let me know what you think and thanks again! :-P

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post07 Mar 2009, 18:05

To me the dot type display cannot be bettered for LED watches the NSC modules are good but the big digit type found in Pulsars and Hamiltons and some of the Frontier modules are the best.

As for the Bulova that model is one of the first LED watches I bought I wear it regularly its one of my favourites, I hope you get your watch working as it'll be another LED watch rescued for people to enjoy... :-)

LEDMan

Post07 Mar 2009, 18:34

I agree!

Nothing compares to the large dot segment displays like the ham's and pulsars.

Do not have any of the above yet......One day when fund's allow! :-(

This will be my third Bulova ......I agree again..... I wear one of my stainless models pretty regularly......just like the looks and the display through the clear crystal.

Return to Electronical