It is currently 10 May 2024, 23:45

Mido Swissonic - Stuck In Set Mode

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Mido Swissonic - Stuck In Set Mode

Post25 Mar 2009, 11:17

I purchased this tatty looking Mido, I have tried it with batteries and have got all the digits to light up nice and brightly, the problem is the watch is permanently stuck in set mode and the display is constantly on :-(

I have checked and lubricated the set and command buttons which are not stuck in and are working freely as they should.

Is this a common fault?

Any easy fix I could try?

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

: Mido Swissonic - Stuck In Set Mode

Post26 Mar 2009, 15:44

I assume you already tried removing batteries and letting the watch rest for a few minutes. If the error continues to appear (always in setting mode), try to go through the setting mode. If the watch does not react to the setting pusher then it is most likely having the setting pusher short cicuited. look for any metal piece that looks like it could short a connection it should not connect. At least that is the only serious explanation.

You can remove the module and run it without the case to see if the error is in the module circuit or on some case contact.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post26 Mar 2009, 16:53

Mick:
Took a photograph of that module and the contacts in particular(the setting contact is very different, we'll get into that some other time.)

See, the button doesn't actually make the electrical contact, the small double pronged contact gets pushed by the button on the one prong, which causes the whole thing to flex over and touch the contact "pin" that completes the circuit. So, pull the small screw that holds the opaque cover over the module back, and take a look if the little prongs are touching the pin. If you think about bending the prongs gently, please take my suggestion and grip it carefully where the two prongs are spot-welded together, so they don't separate - a fairly common occurance that is not real easy to fix. I'll put the picture in the gallery for lng term edification.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post26 Mar 2009, 21:26

Thank you for the tips.

I have checked the module, the two prongs that are highlighted in the photograph are intact and clear of the contact 'pin' :-D

The command button contact is on the other side of the module. I can see a flat contact point on the side of the module case and on the PCB side of the module there is a hole showing what looks like a rod which is connected to this contact - could this rod be stuck in?

I know I have not explained this very well but if you place the module battery side down and the LED display at 12 o'clock, then the hole showing the connecting rod is at the 4 o'clock position, where do I go from here?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post26 Mar 2009, 21:50

Last edited by retroleds on 26 Mar 2009, 23:25, edited 5 times in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post26 Mar 2009, 22:23

Thanks Ed,

I am looking at the same part of the module, would you be able to give me step by step instruction on how to proceed.

I think the button pusher may be stuck in - it is slightly recessed in the module, should it stick out from the module slightly, should the button pusher be springy?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post26 Mar 2009, 23:46

Mick - the button should be lightly springy, but only sticks out maybe 1 mm. Look at the picture again, I just added three red dots. You can drip a drop of "isopropel(rubbing alcohol is what we call that here in the States, generally sold at pharmacies for cleaning cuts and scrapes) in those points and see if it works free and/or a light drop of a fine electrical lubricant. I personally prefer CRC brand "2-26" electrical grade precision lubricant. Available at Home Depot(big arse home improvement stores). Where they sell the circuit breakers and such. :-) :idea: Spray those electrical lubes on a Q-tip, then squish some on with the Q-tip - spraying will be overkill and short the circuit out.

Yeah, a bit of a "Rube Goldberg" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg on the switches, but still a very dependable module.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post27 Mar 2009, 00:28

the button should be lightly springy, but only sticks out maybe 1 mm

The button is stuck without any movement and it is also slightly recessed into the case so it will definitely need to free it off, hopefully it will then work.

Thank you for your help in identifying the problem.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post27 Mar 2009, 02:53

The silver pin directly to the left of the "pivot point" screw: it is pressed into a hole in the button shaft that is currently recessed. Push it back toward the side of the case, pushing the button back out. Then clean/ lubricate and push button in, but just until flush with the side of the module. May the force be with you! :-)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post27 Mar 2009, 23:51

Thank you for your help, I am very pleased to say that the watch is now WORKING!
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Return to Electronical