It is currently 14 May 2024, 10:45

FR 2007 module (or equivalent) help please.

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

redvolvo

FR 2007 module (or equivalent) help please.

Post02 May 2009, 20:45

Hello everyone. I've been posted missing for some time now. Reasons many & varied, but back again & very glad to-boot :-D . I'm hoping that with some assistance & direction I can resurrect a watch I bought over a year ago. i remember at the time asking around, but not having the facility (or know how) to post the information that would make it more likely to be aided by the members of this site. I can now confirm that the module is dead & it has "FR 2007" stamped on it. The watch was sold to me as a Gruen, in a Gruen display box, but I'm not sure if any part (apart from the crystal) is original (?). The bracelet is stamped "Unitrex" & appears not to match the grain of the display case. The module was fitted with 2 new batteries marked "Varta V301". I hope the pictures can help explain the rest. I would be very gratefull if anybody could direct me as to where I could find a replacement module or whether I could use a module from another source. Many thanks in advance. Ps, the module measures 29mm in diameter...

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: FR 2007 module (or equivalent) help please.

Post03 May 2009, 01:19

Are the pictures coming or are they elsewhere on the forum?

redvolvo

Post03 May 2009, 21:54

Are the pictures not there ?(?)..... I spent ages trying to get them (a):taken; (b):uploaded......damn. Can you assist me please. I had a dozen pictures I was sure had been uploaded using ImageShack; why no work ? ! ? ! ...aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh........... Any advice on how this can be achieved please? Many thanks in advance...

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post03 May 2009, 22:44

Ok: Starting from imageshack.

1. Click on browse.
2. Double click on photo to be uploaded.
3. Click on start upload...........wait.
4. Highlight and copy all text in thumbnails for forum (1)
5. Paste onto listing & submit as usual.

and..

Last edited by bucko170 on 03 May 2009, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

redvolvo

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post03 May 2009, 23:19

Ok that does not seem to have worked, lets start again from scratch missing out the shortcut........

1. Click on browse at the bottom of the text window (the text window that you type in when writing new posts.)

2. Double click on the photo......text should appear in the box next to the browse button.

3. Click the 'host it' button beneath browse....this will open up imageshack.

4. In imageshack click on browse.

5. Double click on photo to be uploaded.

6. Click on start upload...........wait.

7. Highlight and copy all text in thumbnails for forum (1)

8. Paste onto listing & submit as usual.

The text that you will paste onto the listing will look something like this

[URL=http://img521.imagehack.us/..............9.th.png[/IMG[/URL

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post03 May 2009, 23:35

Your watch is a Gruen and the module it uses has a piezo alarm feature - evident from the rear case.

I have the exact same watch which also had a faulty module, I got lucky with a lot from eBay and managed to pick up a working module from another watch which I transplanted into the Gruen case.....so I now have a working Gruen alarm watch.

I have sent you a PM regarding the replacement module you are after for this watch.

redvolvo

Post04 May 2009, 19:13

In stage 7 of your detailed procedure on uploading my pictures, what is forum (1); this appears to be the stage that is making life very very difficult for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! H E L P ...........

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post04 May 2009, 19:29

For photograph above.
Once the image has been uploaded 3 text boxes should appear on the page. These text boxes should be labeled on the right side with the following.

Thumbnail for Websites
Thumbnail for forums (1)
Thumbnail for forums (2)

Cut and paste all the text that appears in the box labeled Thumbnail for forums (1)

Alternatively for the photograph below scroll down the page and you should find a text box labeled as Hotlink for forums (1) highlight, cut and paste all text as before.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post04 May 2009, 19:30

step 7 in detail:

7a) left-click into the box which is to the left of the text "Thumbnail for forums (1)" (see image below):

7b) press Ctrl+C

(edit: oops, bucko was faster)

redvolvo

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post04 May 2009, 19:36

Or even, follow your own link to imageshack, beneath where 'Send this image to twitter' is written select 'Thumbs' cut and paste all the text to the right of where it says forum and..........

redvolvo

Post04 May 2009, 19:37

I think I may have managed to achieve a (simple) step in the right direction !!!!!!!!! M:)W:)M . Many thanks again fellow led-heds...

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post04 May 2009, 19:46

Super dooper photograph's.

The band looks to be identical to the one on my own Gruen apart from the clasp which I would say is from a different watch - the Unitrex stamp being the give away :lol:

Good luck with the hunt for replacement module......hopefully someone can jump in and help now that the photo's are posted.

BTW: Thank you for the excuse to show off the photo's of my Pulsar green ;-)
Last edited by bucko170 on 04 May 2009, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

redvolvo

Post04 May 2009, 19:46

Now I've managed to post the pics (taken using 2mp phone camera), can anyone assist further please (phew, this is heavy weather I'm making :lol: ). Many thanks...
[URL=http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gruen1.jpg]Image[/URL

:oops:

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post04 May 2009, 19:52

Now I've managed to post the pics (taken using 2mp phone camera),

Wow pretty good photo's considering you used your phone, I wonder if it would be best to restart the thread - this one has veered off topic onto the photo upload side issue.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post04 May 2009, 20:04

Rewolf wrote
(edit: oops, bucko was faster)

Yes but yours was better ;-)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: FR 2007 module (or equivalent) help please.

Post04 May 2009, 20:12

redvolvo wrote:The module was fitted with 2 new batteries marked "Varta V301".

301s are pretty thin...doubt they would make proper contact. And you realize that both the springs protruding from the module have to touch the caseback(and the caseback has to be in solid contact with the case body) for it to have any chance of working? Actually, the spring that is offcenter is the one that has to make contact with the case body for any setting or display to happen...the other is just for the alarm buzzer. And if you pulled the front plastic off the module and dumped the circuit board out, it would be a good idea to lightly clean the contact areas on the circuit board where the 4 rubber contacts touch it. And without the board in good contact with those rubber pads, which are electrically conductive, you'll still; be getting nothing. Gently nudge the rubber pads upward in their slots before reassembling and wipe the contact surface with a little rubbing alcohol to clean off any residue of the years that is breaking good contact.. It may very well still be a good one.

Hope this helps...are we back on thread? :lol:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

redvolvo

Post04 May 2009, 23:00

Thank you Retroleds. I understand what you are saying (kinda, but not kinda like my job as an Auto electrician :-? ). When I opened the module case to examine the pcb a resistor or buffer (or something!) fell out. There were two of these components & the other one was so badly corroded that it easily lifted off from one side of its connection. It was at this point that I began the thread, assuming that (a):the module was indeed dead, or (b):I was never going to be able to suss out a repair anyway!!!! . Would it be best to give up on a repair & try tracking a replacement module or give up & buy another watch ?!?!? :lol: ......All recommendation welcomed....Thanks again all...

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : FR 2007 module (or equivalent) help please.

Post05 May 2009, 09:14

redvolvo wrote:...When I opened the module case to examine the pcb a resistor or buffer (or something!) fell out. There were two of these components & the other one was so badly corroded that it easily lifted off from one side of its connection....
Can you show us a photo of the missing components and the module with the place where they go? Quite probably the lost components are capacitors, rather easy to get and solder in (once you know the required value...).

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : FR 2007 module (or equivalent) help please.

Post05 May 2009, 14:34

redvolvo wrote:Would it be best to give up on a repair & try tracking a replacement module or give up & buy another watch ?!?!? :lol: ......All recommendation welcomed....Thanks again all...
It's not very likely someone will give up a module of that type on the cheap, since they fit some rather expensive pieces, such as the Hamilton Alarm watches. Which generally draw $350+ if in nice condition. I've got a number of those cases myself, I keep telling myself I am going to put in a regular module that only uses the buttons on the right. remove the top left button and fit in this laser pointer unit I pried out of one of those super cheap pointers that go on a person's keyring. Then some dude will be able to impress his colleagues at a meeting by pressing the button on the left and laser pointing something they are looking at. :lol:

Rewolf's right that the repairs might be simple; although, usually when components fall off a module it means that massive acid damage has occurred or the board was physically stress/flexed which means a number of other connections have been broken. Bummer! :x
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

redvolvo

Post07 May 2009, 21:42

Here goes for the attempt at picturing (& then hopefully upkoading) the bits that fell off ( are in the proccess of falling off :lol: )...Ps, please take in to account that these pics are NOT good quality due to the 2mp Sony phone situ :oops: ....Is there any hope Retroleds?
Next

Return to Electronical