It is currently 12 May 2024, 23:01

Correct Module For A Lanco?

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Correct Module For A Lanco?

Post28 Aug 2009, 00:11

I have recently purchased a Lanco LED, it has two commands at the 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions and a set button at the 3 o'clock position (photograph to follow shortly) It contains a NSC module, although it fits into the case nicely I do not think it is original to the watch as the module only has contacts for the one command button at the 2 o'clock position.

Could anyone tell me what would be the correct module for this watch?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Correct Module For A Lanco?

Post28 Aug 2009, 01:34

Mick: Sounds like a hughes would be the correct fit. Although, there is also an Exonix stopwatch module with that pattern. Even the 2 command button(24 hr. or dual time zone) NS would be wrong, as it's setter is at 4 oclock, not 3. Here I have a Wittnauer(nrmally a HUghes loaded product) that is fit with the Exonix module.
http://www.retroleds.com/Items/WA337.htm
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post28 Aug 2009, 01:41

This Lanco is fitted with a NSC duel time module if its any help to you... :-)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post28 Aug 2009, 02:14

Sorry my mistake - setter is at 4 o'clock :oops:
The watch is the exact same one as shown in Klippie's photograph so a dual time NS module would be the correct one - thanks for the information... does anyone have a spare?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: : Correct Module For A Lanco?

Post28 Aug 2009, 02:16

bucko170 wrote:Sorry my mistake - setter is at 4 o'clock :oops:
The watch is the exact same one as shown in Klippie's photograph so a dual time NS module would be the correct one - thanks for the information... does anyone have a spare?

Spares are us! PM me.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post28 Aug 2009, 02:23

Cheers Ed..PM sent.

Thanks for the photo Klippie. :-D

Is it the same module as used in the Novus?

On the same subject I have a 'Trafalgar' also fitted with a NS module is that one correct?

The watch is identical to this one -

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/trafalgar3.htm

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post28 Aug 2009, 18:08

Yes its the same as the Novus.

Whats wrong with the original module.

I have that Trafalgar too and its a NSC module in it but not the same as the Lanco, my Trafalgar has a time only module which is much thicker in section than the other module. But as with all NSC's just take the PCB out and transplant it in the other plastic carrier.

P.S. a duel time dot display is the one go for it'll look good in this watch... 8-)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post28 Aug 2009, 19:45

Whats wrong with the original module.

The module currently in the Lanco has only one contact for a single command button, I now have a dual display module coming to me courtesy of Ed, I was hoping to transplant the current Lanco NS module into the Trafalgar as the original is dead and get both watches up and running, the Lanco module is slightly to big for the Trafalgar case but i was hoping I could get around it either by swapping the casings over or if that is a no go shaving a little off the edges.

Was the NS dual display module produced in both dot and line segment types?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post28 Aug 2009, 21:34

bucko170 wrote:Was the NS dual display module produced in both dot and line segment types?

Yes - both styles. I know, I know, you want DOT. :lol:

Mick - sounds like you got a Trafalgar with a 26mm opening....takes a Commador. Then again, maybe Fairchild...darn buttons are on a slightly different angle(spread) between those two brands. I've got a Trafalgar which took a Commador, others with Fairchild button spread. Seems they just took whatever was available in modules and drilled the cases accordingly.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post28 Aug 2009, 22:34

Yes - both styles. I know, I know, you want DOT.

Correct ;-).......But do I get a dot?

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post28 Aug 2009, 23:42

bucko170 wrote: the Lanco module is slightly to big for the Trafalgar case but i was hoping I could get around it either by swapping the casings over or if that is a no go shaving a little off the edges.

I’am not too sure what you mean can you post a picture of your Trafalgar module, is it too thick or too big on the diameter, the NSC modules I've some across have been all the same diameter but can vary in thickness the Trafalgar watch you have has the same button positions as mine so it will take an NSC module of some configuration.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post29 Aug 2009, 02:28

My point was - some of the Trafalgars came bored out to 26mm(NSC's are all 29mm). And the button angle varied, so some Traafalgar's used Commador 26's and others Fairchild 26s.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post29 Aug 2009, 16:37

Both modules are 29mm and are National Semiconductor's?

I have managed to transplant the Lanco into the Trafalgar and it is working ok - In order to get it to fit I had to shave a smidgen from the circumference of the front disc of the module which was very slightly overhanging the back plastic carrier.

Here's a photo of the modules the Trafalgar module is on the left.

And a (poor quality) photo of the two watches.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post29 Aug 2009, 17:19

Good stuff, nice watches there Mick even better now they're up and running... :-)

I see corrosion dammage on the Trafalgar module is there any under the display, I've come across the acid burning off the thin wire from the quartz crystal making it look like a dead module soldering on a new crystal got them up and running again.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post29 Aug 2009, 17:34

I am going to give soldering on a new crystal a whirl - I have cleaned up the contacts and the module is now displaying random digits - any soldering tips?

I have had one success replacing a crystal previously but I suspect it may just of been a case of beginners luck.

Previously I have had problems getting the solder to stick, I brought some liquid flux hoping it will help, I also brought, and built, a DIY thermometer kit to have a practice with and found it a piece of cake to solder onto a new PCB board, so I suspect its the surface contamination on the old boards which may be preventing the solder sticking.

UPDATE.
Found some excellent tips -
http://www.thedigitalwatch.com/Archives ... ip_002.htm

Return to Electronical