It is currently 09 May 2024, 23:01

Help required with Longines LED

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

roo! roo! kangaroo!

Help required with Longines LED

Post13 Dec 2009, 02:11

I've recently bought a 70s Longines LED - the one with the hexagonal face which I'm sure you're all familiar with - and I can't seem to get it to run constantly. When I reset the time, for some reason or other the seconds only tick over when the display is lit - the watch appears to stop running when you take your finger off the display button, as if in some kind of 'power saver' mode. I think there may be something I'm not doing once I've set the time, but I can't either think of or remember what it is. Sorry - I'm a bit of an LED novice ... please help!

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: Help required with Longines LED

Post14 Dec 2009, 12:36

I think there may be something I'm not doing once I've set the time

I do not think you are missing anything, I have had a couple of watches that did this and I suspect the watch has a fault.

Is this the watch in question?

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/longines2.htm

Too nice to give up on if it is! I'm sure someone here will be able to help!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : Help required with Longines LED

Post14 Dec 2009, 19:14

bucko170 wrote:I suspect the watch has a fault.

...or, open up and make sure the batteries are making all proper contacts. What I am referring to is the battery contact on the side of the hole where the negative "-" goes down. That side contact along with the negative of THAT battery ias what runs the clock in a Hughes module, which is what your Longines has. Both batteries are only employed when the watch is displaying, and yes, it will run while displaying and then stop if that side contact isn't making good continuous contact. Easiest test is to tip watch over and see if the contact holds the battery in. :o If not, carefully bend the one lowed corner of the contact so it will dig into the side of that battery. General cleanliness of that contact will of course be good. Tell us how it goes. :-)

If you have the watch in the link bucko supplied, then none of the above applies. But you said, hexagonal face, I am thinking about THIS one. http://www.retroleds.com/Items/WA344.htm
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Electronical