It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:00

Suitable 32.768KHz oscillator for Pulsar Modules...read on..

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Handy

Techie

Techie

Suitable 32.768KHz oscillator for Pulsar Modules...read on..

Post01 Jun 2010, 21:30

Having recently acquired a dead Hamilton LED with a P2 type module, I thought I'd look into it a little deeper.
It had the usual single bright digit fault, so I tried a new crystal but to no avail.
My next test was to place the watch on a radiator. It sprung back to life! The temperature compensation resistor must be O/C.
I now knew that a CMOS oscillator IC was required. The best and cheapest one I could find was made by Epson and draws just 2 microamperes. It was cheap enough at £2.07 + VAT.
Anyway, I bought 5 and tried one out with excellent results.
Will keep you all posted.
Cheers,
Ian G1DRP

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

: Suitable 32.768KHz oscillator for Pulsar Modules...read on

Post02 Jun 2010, 05:14

Keep us posted. I have a Hamilton QED that worked reliably for a couple of years and just a few days ago the quartz crystal decided to flake out on me.

It was during the middle of a bit of a heat wave and I couldn't help wondering if that may have contributed - I'm guessing almost certainly not, but I have no alternative explanation. One minute it was working and the next it wasn't. If there is a better solution than a new quartz crystal, I'd like to know about it.

Also, if any of you electrical engineer types care to expound upon to the pros and cons of quartz tuning forks verses the various types of oscillator circuits / ICs and can do so in non-engineer-speak, then that would be most appreciated.

-abe.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post02 Jun 2010, 14:37

Hi handy.
Can you advise the part number of these ICs please. Also, where did you get them from ?

Rgds,
Andrew.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post02 Jun 2010, 19:28

Yes, please keep us posted Handy.

Abem - I have a Hughes module watch that has a similar problem to what you described. Last summer, in hot weather -around 90 F and up, it will start to act erratically. But when I go back inside and it cools down, the watch goes back to normal timekeeping. I ran it by Ed and he thought it was a q.c. going bad. It may be that this is your problem too, the Hamitlon q.c. died on you....

Handy

Techie

Techie

Post02 Jun 2010, 20:39

Hi Abem,
I would try changing your crystal first. If that doesn't work, the fault will probably be within the IC.

I fitted an oscillator 24 hours ago and it is still running with no timekeeping errors. I have worn the watch all day.
Here's a link to where I got them from:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &R=4785064

It's a very easy job to undertake. All you need to do is find a positive and negative connection on the Pulsar board. The oscillator output is connected to the left hand crystal connection point. The original crystal has to be removed to make room for the oscillator. +ve supply is taken from the top left hand pad on the module, there is a reed switch soldered to the pad. -ve is taken from the trimmer on the back of the module at the far end from the adjustment screw.
Pins 1 and 4, of the oscillator must be connected together.

Cheers,
Ian

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post03 Jun 2010, 18:27

Ian, would you mind showing us a picture of your module with the oscillator in place?

Handy

Techie

Techie

Re: : Suitable 32.768KHz oscillator for Pulsar Modules...rea

Post05 Jun 2010, 20:20

LEDluvr wrote:Ian, would you mind showing us a picture of your module with the oscillator in place?

I'll do a full writeup, with photos, on the next one I do. This one is now encapsulated in black silicone. I have it running in a P2 case with a hamilton QED back on it as I haven't got the correct caseback yet.

Handy

Techie

Techie

Post09 Jun 2010, 23:22

OK, I've just done a hamilton QED module.
I've fitted a 33K resistor on the output, of the chip, to limit the current driving the module chip.

Here's the photos.

This watch had not been opened for many years and still contained the original batteries. It's in quite nice condition, so I've decided not to rob the module and to use it.
I'll post some photos in the relevant section of the forum, this weekend.

Cheers,
Ian G1DRP

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post09 Jun 2010, 23:27

Handy - small suggestion on your connection technique. Do your utmost to not solder to the board. You were lucky, those traces often lift off from the heat of soldering. And why expose any of the other parts to the heat. I realize the lead may have came off and you had no chioce - been there, done that. :x
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Handy

Techie

Techie

Post09 Jun 2010, 23:38

retroleds wrote:Handy - small suggestion on your connection technique. Do your utmost to not solder to the board. You were lucky, those traces often lift off from the heat of soldering. And why expose any of the other parts to the heat. I realize the lead may have came off and you had no chioce - been there, done that. :x

I needed to solder the +ve supply to the board. Heat was applied very briefly with an 18W iron and I used tin/lead solder.
I'll be cushioning the chip in black silicone rubber tomorrow evening.

Cheers,
Ian

Handy

Techie

Techie

Post19 Jun 2010, 23:12

I now have this module in a P2 case and it is my daily wearer.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jun 2010, 11:46

any source for some handy silicon fillings for the quartz cavity and other cover-up work?
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

Handy

Techie

Techie

Post30 Jun 2010, 20:04

azimuth_pl wrote:any source for some handy silicon fillings for the quartz cavity and other cover-up work?

I use this: http://www.cemedine.co.jp/e/product/super_x.html

I use the black stuff which sets quicly, but is like silicone rubber without the smell of ammonia.
I don't know of a source as I have an old tube from work, where I use it for holding the prisms in binoculars.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post30 Jun 2010, 20:43

many thanks, I'll try to get it this way or another.

btw. I use frequency generators (oscillator chips) from mouser.com
what's your source and price per piece?

do you find the resistor helpful in prolonging battery life or is there some other reason?

"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

Handy

Techie

Techie

Post30 Jun 2010, 20:56

azimuth_pl wrote:many thanks, I'll try to get it this way or another.

btw. I use frequency generators (oscillator chips) from mouser.com
what's your source and price per piece?

do you find the resistor helpful in prolonging battery life or is there some other reason?

Look further up the page. I get them from RS Components, here in the UK, for £2.07 each plus VAT and delivery.
The resistor is there in an attempt to attenuate the output waveform a little.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post30 Jun 2010, 21:11

thanks, I must be going blind :roll:

pdevos

Post07 Jul 2010, 17:24

If you want it I have find a suitable quartz for the pulsar caliber

I have used those in several module without any issues,

I am swiss so it's from a swiss website, I think you should be able to get some delivered anywhere, otherwise let me know I could buy a couple for you and put them on ebay them for you.

https://www.distrelec.ch/ishopWebFront/ ... /is/1.html

Pierre owner of 3 of the 4 type of OMEGA TC1 (yes there is 4 different models, Solid gold(still too expensive for me), gold, white gold (only the case is in white gold), and full metal)

Handy

Techie

Techie

Post07 Jul 2010, 19:37

Hi,
Thanks for the offer. I have some.

I have had it running for a few days and it is now working as it shuld. :-)

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jul 2010, 21:29

thanks for the link Pierre but the oscillators mentioned in this thread are quarz microchips that have pretty much nothing in common with a standard crystal - aside the frequency. IMO these oscillators should be referred to as generators because the quartz crystal is by all means also an oscillator.

in reference to the thermistors (temperature resistors) that have been made public by Phil Bowler(banned) a few years back...
I have just sent a couple of modules to a friend of mine who is an electronics guru/brain/nut/nerd.
he gutted some of the modules and made all possible troubleshooting and... he says that there are absolutely no thermistors in a P2/P3 module.
the traces underneath the chip are basic resistors and are not temperature sensitive.
unless somebody has technical specs for all Pulsar components I guess I'll have to start to believe my expert friend.

btw. if there are 4 TC1 types then which one is this:

Handy

Techie

Techie

Post07 Jul 2010, 22:05

Very interesting Piotr.
Ed has done some tests on the resistors and they do change in value, quite significantly too.
Also, why make them so big?
I am still of the opinion that they are thermistors of some sort.

Ed, please chime in.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jul 2010, 22:10

any comments are welcome.
however... almost every component will change values in different temps.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post07 Jul 2010, 22:40

Poitr:
Your friend is very incorrect - there are two thermoresistors as I indicated previously(the Pulsar advertisements make note of the temperature adjusted timing. So thanks to Phil for nothing on that one). I went over the val;ue of those two with them isolated from the circuit - very easy to sandblast off connections beyond a component on a printed circuit board, leaves not a trace. So no circuit interference.

You should make some tests of this yourself....I am surprised you would need an "electronics guru" to help you on this. :-?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.
Next

Return to Electronical