It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:40

Pulsar Not acting right

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

LEDman793

Geek

Geek

Pulsar Not acting right

Post09 Nov 2011, 17:19

Have a Pulsar date command that when you install batteries only a '1' lights up faintly on the far right side and it stays lit...does anyone have a clue whats going on here...it wont go out even if you press buttons..?? Is this something that can be fixed? and how much $ or is it not fixable? (I dont know how to do repairs) in fact I dont even own it yet...the seller and I are trying to figure out what the problem is.....any help appreciated.

thanks! :-)
My life would never be the same without the soft warm glow of happily shining LEDs!

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

: Pulsar Not acting right

Post09 Nov 2011, 19:02

Often times the culprit in these cases is the quartz crystal. The 'swap':
cutting out the old one and soldering in a new one isn't too hard but you could fry the crystal or damage the module if you aren't careful. The procedure has been detailed before on this site - check the past threads under Pulsar or the Workbench categories.

However, I did this procedure and it didn't work for two of my Pulsars because either a) the q.c. was not the problem or b) the q.c. was not the only problem.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post09 Nov 2011, 21:57

Ultimate solution: Unless they"re in super condition, and cheap, stop buying non-working watches, hoping you can hammer them back into working condition! I quit doing that years ago, and it has saved me thousands of dollars, not to mention a lot of wasted effort and real heartbreak. On the other hand, if you enjoy gambling, I guess this is as good a thing to bet on as any... I think what shook me out of this was the first time I missed something really good because I had spent my money on too many "maybe" watches. On eBay, especially, my rule is; if it's not FULLY working, I consider it a non-working watch. If it's in average condition, I let it go; if it's minty, I might bid the value of the case. The only exceptions I make are for models I don't have, or solid-gold cases (and twice, in the last three years, I bid on a common watch because it was in a really rare box). So far, this strategy has served me well... So, bottom line on the advice is...save your money until a real gem comes along, and you'll have the resources to scoop it up...

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : Pulsar Not acting right

Post10 Nov 2011, 01:39

bruce wegmann wrote:Ultimate solution: Unless they"re in super condition, and cheap, stop buying non-working watches.......... So far, this strategy has served me well... So, bottom line on the advice is...save your money until a real gem comes along, and you'll have the resources to scoop it up...
M:)W:)M M:)W:)M M:)W:)M

So true. And even then, occasionally you get burned - I bought a working P2. Yes, when you put in batteries it stays on. Until they are dead. Tried everything - short of crossbow at 10 paces. :twisted:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Nov 2011, 08:14

The dreaded "single digit of death". My condolences.

Here is a brief translation guide to use when reading eBay listings:

"Untested" = "tested and found to be not working"
"Can't find batteries" = "I am a liar"
"I don't know how to open the back" = "I am a liar pretending to be mentally disabled"
"I know nothing about these watches" = "I am a collector unloading some duds"
"Will probably work but sold as is" = "not working"
"Worked the last time it had batteries" = "hasn't worked for 40 years"
"Works but I can't figure out how to set it" = "dead but a few segments of the display may light up sometimes"
"Works but not guarantee about time keeping accuracy" = "display lights up but does not advance"
"May require maintenance, which may be as simple as a battery" = "dead as a doornail"

I'm missing about 500 other variations - feel free to fill in the gaps. From reading the listings, you'd think that watch batteries, which can be found in almost any pharmacy or grocery store, were as hard to find as Bigfoot riding the Loch Ness Monster. Also, how many watchmaker's estates can there possibly be? - there aren't that many watchmakers. I love the ones that say "Works perfectly but hands do not advance". What??? So, um, the watch band works? It's a timekeeping device with one function and one function only, which does not work. What part of "timekeeping" do you not understand?

Sorry, but eBay has the unfortunate tendency to make one feel less than charitable about one's fellow human beings.

-abe.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Nov 2011, 10:28

The (usual) true fault for the dreaded single digit is "oscillator not running" which can be attacked in a number of ways. First, make sure the board is clean- chemically clean not visibly clean so solvent cleaning necessary. Second, if you have an oscilloscope or frequency meter confirm the oscillator is not running. Check the variable capacitor, if fitted, for damage. Now, replace the crystal with something suitable- not all crystals are equal, they have differing load capacity (in range 2-20pF) and you should go for something similar to that originally fitted. If that doesn't do it then it is time to consider fitting a combined crystal/oscillator chip- needs a little skill and understanding of how your watch IC works to do well. If that doesn't do it then probably beyond redemption.

As for ebay you can add;-

"One recently sold for $1000..." = I shill bid it up and won it at $1000 then told EBay purchaser/seller did not wish to complete transaction (to reclaim EBay fees!) so I could make this claim.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post10 Nov 2011, 13:10

The dreaded "single digit of death". My condolences.

lol Abe ...we have to make this a sticky on the forum :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Pulsar Not acting right

Post28 Mar 2013, 23:01

I have a defective Pulsar P3 module (actually came from an Omega Watch). When obtained it had some segments on a single digit lit so I thought it might be an Oscillator issue. I installed an external Oscillator chip and confirmed with an Oscilloscope that the 32KHz clock was being generated to the module. After the chip was installed the module LED behaves in the following fashion. Only the top segments light up as soon as the batteries are inserted and it stays on constant. When pressing a button (date or time) the LED display turns off. Releasing the button cause the display to revert back to the top segments staying on. I tried the heat treatment like others but it had no effect on the module. Have I reached the end of the rope on this module? I can post photos of the module tomorrow.

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post29 Mar 2013, 00:49

M:)W:)M on the ebay ads.

"Ultimate solution: Unless they"re in super condition, and cheap, stop buying non-working watches, hoping you can hammer them back into working condition! I quit doing that years ago, and it has saved me thousands of dollars, not to mention a lot of wasted effort and real heartbreak."

:sad: - I'm in this "phase" right now - hoping I'll grow out of it real soon as the duds and fuds are mounting up in a huge huge pile :fool:

Buy the time you spent $30 or $40 on a few ($90-$140) "need batteries" lots - I can have a nice working one for $100-$200. :grin1:

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Mar 2013, 01:50

Totally agree with Bruce's rule of ebay buying. This purchase fell into the category of a mint Omega TC2 case and flawless crystal with gold logo. The plan was to either make the original module work or to use an existing P3 module in the GF TC2. Time to throw this module into the recycle bin or use it to purchase a SASM replacement. Fortunately it's the only one I have. I hope you get out of this phase soon as spending $$$ on non-working junk adds no value to your collection.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post29 Mar 2013, 08:35

I agree with everybody above...but don't tell me that you have never been lucky?
Always check seller's other items and completed ones as well.
If a seller is cleaning his grandpa's attic or listing a lot of old junk amongst which there are a few dead watches then it is likely that he hasn't bothered to waste his time and source batteries to test the watches. They might work or not and are really untested. But when a watch trader pulls the same thing then consider the watch as 100% dead. Either way, if not tested then bid for the case value only.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

Return to Electronical