It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 10:21

Zenith led & analog so nice and yet so dead!

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

DrLaser

Banned

Zenith led & analog so nice and yet so dead!

Post01 Dec 2011, 19:36

Gentlemen :
I need some help now . I just got a nice zenith led & analog
like the one seen here on the right :( not the square one ,futura)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Zenith-LED ... 4842a191e0

I opened and i discovered that the batteries had leaked . And the metal contacts were disolved by the battery acid .So now they are gone ,the rivets are still there !
How would you tackle the restoring on that watch ?.It seems very complex to disassemble.

A

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Zenith led & analog so nice and yet so dead!

Post02 Dec 2011, 15:35

Four screws around the edge of the module are holding down some clips that swing into a groove - pull the screws, lift the clips out of the way. THe movement is a tight fit into the case. Bad news is the motor of the analog portion - largely unsealed, relatively crude construction (IMO). Yeah, some guy sent me a dozen of those that were NOS but had batteries in for all the years. Only 2 survivors, and even those were dodgy. Wishing you better success on yours.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

DrLaser

Banned

: Zenith led & analog so nice and yet so dead!

Post02 Dec 2011, 18:36

Thanks Ed
I had done that already . I discovered that the contacts are (rivets included
) are not heavy gold ,but just covered with layer of gold .As a result the substrate ( maybe copper or brass ) rusts completly away leaving some trace of contact with gold on top.But is not making good contact .So all has to go .How to make a new contact with rivet is the next step

Return to Electronical