It is currently 14 May 2024, 20:05

Replacement modules

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Shiniquiet

Nerd

Nerd

Replacement modules

Post08 Dec 2011, 17:44

It's my understanding that you just can't take an original working module and substitute it for a non-workig one in a Pulsar case - something about the reed switches and their sensitivity. If that's true, is it also applicable to the replacement modules that are created in Germany? I realize that having a non-original part in a Pulsar watch is heresey to Pulsar purists, but if one is looking for just an everyday Pulsar and isn't fussy about original parts, are these replacement modueles an economically feasible alternative?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Replacement modules

Post08 Dec 2011, 21:06

You have the exact same issues. Different cases have different magnet styles and materials utilized, individual watches have varying degrees of decay to their magnetism. If you don't have the correct original specs for the reed switches, you are starting off at a bad point of reference. And of course, not many have invested in the equipment that allows for measuring the button magnets' strength in a repeatable fashion, for a good frame of reference. And of course, your setting magnets start into a whole another can of worms.

Probably my biggest concern about programmable modules (versus dedicated clock chips), is how often/frequently/easily could their programming get wiped out? I believe reprogramming them on the module is not feasible.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Shiniquiet

Nerd

Nerd

Post08 Dec 2011, 21:20

Thanks, Ed. That's good to know.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post08 Dec 2011, 23:54

The job of transplanting a SASM module into a case is no easier, or more difficult, than swapping out original ones; the reed switches are the same, and the probabilities of a match/mismatch to the button magnets are the same. Time Computer technicians faced the same problem every time a Pulsar came in for a replacement module (I'm sure there was a universal sigh of relief when Pulsar went to the Touch-Command system, when modules finally became truly interchangeable). The company that made the original reed switches for Time Computer is still in business, and the identical switches are still available (they do need to be ordered to specific magnetic characteristics...I do have that data). I have often thought it would be great to buy a batch of new reeds, but the minimum order on custom parts is 100 pieces, and not practical for me individually...if I can ever organize a "group buy", where the cost is divided among 5 to 10 people, I would be glad to set that in motion. At least now, SASM products are available directly from me, so the round-trip to Germany is now out of the loop.

Shiniquiet

Nerd

Nerd

Post09 Dec 2011, 15:48

Whoa, I think I learned something new here, Bruce. The touch-command modules can be put into any touch-command case? Did I undersand that correctly?

You see, here's the thing. I already have a couple of Pulsars. (Lived in Lancaster, PA when they came out and it was love at first site.) I'd like to wear them more often but I'm afraid of getting them too banged up. Since I'm not a Pulsar purist, so to speak, an inexpensive Pulsar that could be worn every day is an option I've been trying to pursue. For me, the origin of the module is not a big thing.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post10 Dec 2011, 10:54

To answere the question you posted on the "other" forum; yes, the same things apply to the SASM and original modules, in terms of "matching" the reeds to the button magnets...same parts, same potential problem. Time Computer technicians had the benefit of an unlimited pool of modules to try in a given case to find one that worked properly; we modern collectors have no such luxury. Still, it CAN be done; just takes a little time and effort.

Return to Electronical