It is currently 21 May 2024, 02:47

Heuer Manhattan Chronosplit GMT - non working LCD display.

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

JACK G

Heuer Manhattan Chronosplit GMT - non working LCD display.

Post15 Dec 2011, 10:11

My first post so please be gentle !

I am a long term LCD watch enthusiast (see my website www.braunlcdwatches.com) and have the chance of buying a 1978 Heuer Manhattan Chronosplit GMT in NOS condition.

Now I have had a few of these over the years and it is always the LCD display that fails which is what has happened to the one I have been offered.

A few years back I sold one to a collector in Germany who managed to get the LCD display repaired within a few days.

As it is few years since I had my last Manhattan and things have moved on in the LCD collecting world I am wondering if any of you guys know if/where these can be repaired?

Thanks, Jack

charger105

Guru

Guru

: Heuer Manhattan Chronosplit GMT - non working LCD display.

Post15 Dec 2011, 10:44

Hi Jack.
Nice website. I've seen a few Brauns pop up on Ebay over the years, but have never known any history about them.

Anyway, if the LCD display itself has failed, I'd say there is next to nil chance of anyone repairing it. If it's the circuitry driving the display, then if it hasn't suffered too much corrosion damage, someone should be able to repair it.

Do you mean the LCD panel itself has failed (i.e. it's black, or has black bleed marks) ? If it has, the only viable option would be to find a donor panel.

Rgds.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Dec 2011, 10:50

A broken (bleeding) lcd can't be fixed - it has to be replaced with a new one so you're going to need a donor watch or someone who has some spares stashed away.

Peter Wenzig is one of the few people who can do repairs on chronosplits - might be worth contacting him. Check out his website:

http://www.digitalwatches.de/ENGLISH_INDEX.HTM

Love those brauns by the way - have you seen the Ventura-alike they're producing?

http://www.braun-clocks.com/watch/BN0106S

JACK G

Post15 Dec 2011, 17:04

Thanks for the replies and comments regarding my website.

I will follow up on the lead and yes I am aware of the Braun/Ventura watches and also the 1970s Braun re-issues by Zeon. Zeon bought an old Braun catalogue from me a few years back when they first started looking at doing them. At the time I wondered why they wanted it.

Just to clarify the screen itself is OK with no bleeds or damage but the digits do not appear. Would post a pick but I have not yet seen the watch and am in discussion with a view to purchase as it is NOS. Have been advised that a new battery has been tried and fitted the correct way round.

Thanks, Jack

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Dec 2011, 19:51

The Manhattan (and Senator) digital modules are extremely difficult to repair- the main clock chip sits bare on the PCB surrounded by a lattice of wire bonds. It is not enclosed in any way (except by the main plastic carrier frame) and susceptible to damage/battery leakage. I have repaired two and really don't want to ever do another one! I suspect Peter Wenzig may have the last remaining NOS genuine Heuer spares and so is your best port of call.

The Senator and Manhattan digital modules are ever so slightly different in size and not interchangeable (tried that once), but the LCD panels are the same.

JACK G

Re: : Heuer Manhattan Chronosplit GMT - non working LCD disp

Post16 Dec 2011, 09:36

Old Tom wrote:The Manhattan (and Senator) digital modules are extremely difficult to repair- the main clock chip sits bare on the PCB surrounded by a lattice of wire bonds. It is not enclosed in any way (except by the main plastic carrier frame) and susceptible to damage/battery leakage. I have repaired two and really don't want to ever do another one! I suspect Peter Wenzig may have the last remaining NOS genuine Heuer spares and so is your best port of call.

The Senator and Manhattan digital modules are ever so slightly different in size and not interchangeable (tried that once), but the LCD panels are the same.

Thanks for the information - Peter Wenzig sounds like the man for this and I have now made contact.

Return to Electronical