It is currently 14 May 2024, 06:01

Psychadelic Seikos - Not so Fast.....

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

quietman

Techie

Techie

Psychadelic Seikos - Not so Fast.....

Post09 Jan 2012, 20:00

:oops: :x :cry:

I took my (new polarisers) M154 out for a walk at the weekend and in the daylight there was no doubt about it :eek: there was a feint green 'stain' on the display where previously it had been pink. I was thinking that perhaps there was a layer of thin film left on the LC glass that I'd missed when I did the changover or perhaps the mirror was mildy cook-stained on that spot. So I took it all apart, took the new polarisers off and had a play with a kitchen foil mirror, some new polarisers and the original ones that I still have.

To the chase..... I think all this chat about burnt out polarisers is a bit of a red (or should that be pinkish-green...) herring. The anisochromic failure on my watch is without any doubt in the actual Liquid Crystal. The improvement seen on my watch appears to be down primarily to a change of the angle of the crossed polarisers of a few degrees when I changed them over. I can get the pink with the new polarisers and the green with the old ones if I set them at precisely the right angle - it really is just a matter of a few degrees one way or the other. The slightly darker new polarisers also helped to mask the remaining tinge when viewed inside my dimly lit Watchmaneering Facility.

So, only a sample size of one but I think the polariser change can reduce the Psychadelicity of a fried Seiko but not, I fear, fix it. :-|

If you do have a cosmic Seiko that you're trying to sober up I would suggest that you play a little with the precise angles of the new polarisers relative to the LC (of course keeping the films at 90deg to each other....) It seems to make quite a difference. 8-)

PS - does anyone know where I can buy really thin polariser in the UK or web with small MOQ. I need to add a shunt film to the Tissot rebuild I posted on here a while ago. The only (salvaged) pieces of superthin stuff I have work perfectly but are too small :-(

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Psychadelic Seikos - Not so Fast.....

Post11 Mar 2012, 18:09

i just noticed the same here..i was servicing a old ana- digi digital display with a greenisch spot in the middle. I peeled
the 2 polarizers of the lcd to replace them with some new...but the spot just remains..so it's a problem in the lcd itself.

first picture i've put a new gold background instead of the silver..just for fun. But then i noticed the spot again..
so i peeled the back polarizer off and had a quick look...same problem.
then a peeled the front polarizer off..so no polarizers on the lcd.

quick test with a big polarizer sheet...the lcd has no polarizers now..so the spor remains even with new polarizers!!
and i can turn the lcd in every way i want.

tried everything but no solution yet.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Return to Electronical