It is currently 05 May 2024, 20:53

Pulsar led removal from circuit board ?

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Pulsar led removal from circuit board ?

Post22 Jan 2012, 22:30

Hi

I need to remove the dispaly from my Pulsar p4 classic DOW so I can transplant it to another module.

How is the led display attached to the circuit board solder or epoxy ?

Some good advice would be much appreciated as a really don't want to damage the LED. I'm not too worried about the PCB or the IC though as the wirebonds are broken. My only interest is to harvest the display.

Thanks

PS Aplogies if this has been asked before

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Pulsar led removal from circuit board ?

Post23 Jan 2012, 08:54

That´s easy. Remove the board from the plastic carrier. Then remove all parts from the die-side f.e. with a Dremel. Take a tweezer and put the module on a ceran-hotplate. Get your wife out of the kitchen.The plate you are using has to be very hot already. Once the solder becomes liquid, immediately remove the display with the tweezer. You won´t have much time until the display will be destroyed from heat.

Good luck!

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Post23 Jan 2012, 12:41

Hi Hanno,

Many thanks for the reply and top advice it is very much appreciated !.

I presume the best way to re - attach the display is to use silver epoxy ?.

Kind Regards

Neil

P.S I like the new DWF layout

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Jan 2012, 14:31

Another method would be the use of a razor blade. Practically you cut the display off the board. However I do prefer the hotplate method, because I am familiar with it and made good experiences. Use the highest temperature and wait for 5 Minutes before you put the board on the plate.

I do not like silver epoxy at all. It works, because that´s a question of time until pin becomes de-connected to the board. You should aks other members on that topic, maybe I made something wrong. If you have good equipment and soldering experience, I highly recommend to solder the display back an the new board. Be careful, too much heat and your wirebonds from the back side will melt.

Hanno.

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Post23 Jan 2012, 22:17

Again, many thanks for sharing your excellent advice and experience.

I have an old Imado with a display that needs removing too. I think I will try your recommended hotplate method on the Imado first before I have ago at the Pulsar.

Cheers

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post25 Jan 2012, 12:11

Bruce once had a good idea when you don't want to damage anything on the module but swap the display only.
He mentioned that a small window the size of the display needs to be cut in a sheet of metal and the window edges bent downwards so that they touch the PCB surface. Then apply heat from a heat-blower and when ready pop up the display on the entire edge. The sheet of metal will take most of the heat and nothing except the display will be treated.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Post25 Jan 2012, 15:06

That's another good idea of which I can turn around i.e I could make a shield for the display and funnel heat around the underside if the display with a heat gun or a cheap hot air solder rework gun.

I've seen a number of cheap solder rework irons on Ebay they might be worth a punt as I'm just getting into the wonderful world of SMT.

Thanks

Neil

Return to Electronical