It is currently 12 May 2024, 10:59

Seiko 0644-8000 restored (pics)

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

albertofenini

Techie

Techie

Seiko 0644-8000 restored (pics)

Post25 Mar 2012, 01:46

ciao a tutti,

this time I've been a little more "lucky" and my restoration with a 06XX model is
going to have a nice ending.

The case is still to be polished, but considering the conditions of the item when it
arrived, I have gone quite a long way.

However, the lcd is very dim, if I look at that from a certain angle, is very clear,
but in the nomral position you should wear it on your wrist, is almost unreadble.

Would replacing the polarize film help ?
And if yes, can anyone suggest me a good source for buying the film on the internet ?

Thanks in advance,
Alberto

A1010899.jpg

A1010900.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Seiko 0644-8000 restored (pics)

Post28 Mar 2012, 19:44

http://www.3dlens.com/shop/lcdpolarizer.php

sorry..better later then never :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

albertofenini

Techie

Techie

Post29 Mar 2012, 10:57

Thank you very much, Kasper,
so you think is a polarizer problem ?
I'll order them and will try,
thanks again Alberto

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post29 Mar 2012, 12:35

i'm not the shure it's a polarizer problem....a few days back i changed 2 polarizers on a casio and the problem was still there. It was a problem between the 2 mineral layers with the liquid.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

- Kasper -

albertofenini

Techie

Techie

Post02 Apr 2012, 16:41

ciao Kasper, ciao Everybody,

before I go buying the polarizer from the US, can I try to recover a polarizer from another lcd ?
I have some of those cheap desktop calculators with a wide lcd display
so that I may try to peel it off from there and try to use it.

Is it worth it ?

Should I expect to find a film on both sides of that kind of lcd ??

thanks again Alberto

quietman

Techie

Techie

Post02 Apr 2012, 19:23

You could test the effectiveness of replacing the polarisers by laying a new polariser over the existing one - you wouldn't even need to take it out of the case for this. Just rotate the new piece round until it is lying parallel to the existing one (background as light as possible). Then you could see if your digits look OK from the front or not. I think you would find that they wouldn't.

Instead you might try carefully cleaning the two rows of contact points on the back of the LC glass panel. Don't touch the exposed gold IC contacts with your hand or any tools. Don't touch any of the exposed electronics any more than necessary and be a little bit aware of ESD risks. I generally use water and cotton buds for such cleaning work, just be aware that cotton will scratch the surface of your polarising films so its not good to wipe beyond the glass contact strips.

You could try harvesting polariser film from other equipment but most modern ones will have extremely agressive adhesive holding the stack together. At best you would get something partially damaged - a small piece of this might work for checking to see whether a complete replacement would be likely to be effective or not.

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Apr 2012, 19:38

Harvesting or swapping a polarizer from another made in China calc can be messy. I tried this, and you will end up more or less pulling the polarizer from the LCD of the calc and it will have this rippling effect, and make it very hard to reapply to your watch LCD panel. You may be better off carefully removing the current polarizer (carefully!!! with an exacto knife.), and then buying a new one, from the link Kasper gave you, and reapplying it.

Last year I tried just using a piece of polarizer film in my near dead LCD M159, and the extra space cracked my LCD panel. I have been shopping for a beater M159 for the "Stem" and LCD panel ever since. So what ever road you take, you will have to be patient and careful for sure. And good luck!

- Patrick

simone

Guru

Guru

Post07 Apr 2012, 10:04

albertofenini wrote:ciao Kasper, ciao Everybody,

before I go buying the polarizer from the US, can I try to recover a polarizer from another lcd ?
I have some of those cheap desktop calculators with a wide lcd display
so that I may try to peel it off from there and try to use it.

Is it worth it ?

Should I expect to find a film on both sides of that kind of lcd ??

thanks again Alberto

Ciao Alberto,prova ad usare le lenti di un occhialino 3d (di quelli che si usano al cinema per vedere i film)....oppure vai in un centro commerciale dove vendono le tv piatte e prova a vedere se nel reparto 3d ci sono gli occhialini....sono usa e getta per cui li puoi portare a casa...sono ideali per gli orologi (forse leggermente più spessi rispetto alle pellicole originali).Tuttavia sono applicabili con tranquillità...ne ho fatti un paio di seiko con questo metodo e fra poco inizierò il terzo....
Sorry If i speak italian....i explained to Alberto how find a polarize film here in italy....
Some watches are made to last only as long as they are fashionable
Some watches, simply are not made to last
Seiko watches are designed to withstand the ravages of both time and fashion
Someday perhaps, all watches will be made this way

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post07 Apr 2012, 12:47

i've tried these 3d glasses also but the polarizers are to thick.

- Kasper -

Return to Electronical