It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:50

CASIOTRON S12

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

albertofenini

Techie

Techie

CASIOTRON S12

Post30 Apr 2012, 23:07

Dear All,
I've been away for while, but I'm back working on a few projects.

In one of these, I'm trying to restore this Casiotron S12, which works but has a very faint display.

IMG01012.jpg

Do you think is a polarizer problem or should I go for a new display ?

Does anyone know a good source for Casio spare parts ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion or help,
take care Alberto
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: CASIOTRON S12

Post01 May 2012, 20:48

it's the same module as mine..i have a new case and a broken module....you have a broken case and a good module M:)W:)M

first clean all the contacts and look if it goes more black..then you could try to change the polarizers. I have no experience with casio..so i'm as
curious as you to find more help on these modules.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

quietman

Techie

Techie

Post01 May 2012, 22:02

Looks like faded polariser to me. I have a similar vintage Casiotron (Tissot) that has this pale brown look. Problem is that they printed the lettering on the front polariser that you need to change....so you need to leave it there and add another thin one over the top.

When you find a source for NOS 1970s Casiotron parts let me know and I'll send you a list of the bits that I'm missing M:)W:)M

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 May 2012, 00:10

People have reported a good result from putting a new polorizer over the old one . You could try replacing the back polorizer and see if that helps?

With the Seikos they print onto the rear of the LCD glass. Removing the polorizer can be done without rubbing off the digits but its will require your concentration and a steady hand to rub off the remaining glue around the digits

quietman

Techie

Techie

Post03 May 2012, 15:15

In addition to the faded Tissot I mentioned I also have a broken S-11 which has the same module as your watch albeit with English Days Of Week. I took a look at the parts last night......

- The black and red printing is definitely on the front of the front polariser so be careful with that bit.

- The back polariser is reasonably thin and the two part mirror assembly is reasonably thick - so I suggest that if you are considering changing it that you just check your total thicknesses to make sure that you don't leave the zebra strips hanging Open Circuit (or worse......it is a ceramic PCB.....) There is a little extra space and with a thin film you'll be fine, with a thicker one not fine.

- I think your best first move is what I would call a Shunt (ie 'In Series') Polariser placed between the movement and the metal dial. You still need something reasonably thin. And preferably without adhesive - I tried a self-adhesive film over the top of my Tissot and it made the writing appear fuzzy and illegible. I couldn't find small quantities of thin adhesive-less film on the net anywhere so I used some harvested film to fix mine.

albertofenini

Techie

Techie

Post03 May 2012, 16:03

Thank you very much for all the tips and suggestion !
I have several other watches (seiko) that look faded,
I definetely have to buy the film and try it.

I'll keep posted my results, but it will take sometimes
before I will get it.

Any other idea is obviously welcome !
Thanks again Alberto

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post03 May 2012, 16:41

but its not always the polarizers!

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=5020#p34239
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

albertofenini

Techie

Techie

Post03 May 2012, 17:01

I can imagine, but is something that I have never done and I'm curious to try it out.
In order to avoid customs delay and huge shipping fees, does anyone know where I
can get good and thin polarizers in Europe ?
thanks for help,
Alberto

Return to Electronical