It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:17

Sunwatch repairing question

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

szilamer

Sunwatch repairing question

Post10 Jun 2012, 19:05

Hi,

I am a happy owner of a Sunwatch with SASM module, and everything is great on my watch except the glue between the upper and bottom part.
Here is the picture of the problematic side:

What do you think, is it worth putting a little glue/silicone on this side ?
Or I can only do it correctly if I completely remove the back bottom and reglue the whole thing ? Sorry for the stupid questions, I don't have experince in watch repairing, but I would like to wear this watch for a long time.

What do you think about this for glueing:
http://www.supergluecorp.com/pro-seal/rtv-silicone-instant-gasket-makers/black-rtv-silicone-instant-gasket-1

Thanks,
Szilamer

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Sunwatch repairing question

Post10 Jun 2012, 21:03

Welcom to the forum from us moderators, we hope you enjoy your stay :-D

there are many sunwatch owners here so wait a few minutes/hours and you will have your answer..i'm not one of them but be carefull with superglue.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 Jun 2012, 06:10

it appears that the black bottom is bowed. i would be more concerned with the reason for that. having repaired about 14 of these i have never seen a black bottom that is bowed like yours. whatever is causing the bow in the bottom is the reason the glue has given out. i have used 60-minute epoxy with good results. also i have used a loctite product called "stick-n-seal". it is not as permanent in case you may want to reopen the case. peter

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post11 Jun 2012, 06:53

Yes, your bottom looks warped.
No-one likes a warped bottom :lol:

Whever I seal up a Synchronar, I always use ordinary bathroom silicon. It seals and sticks very well and is reversible. The batteries won't last forever, so it's perfect in this regard. The only problem is that you can't really polish the sides of the lexan with silicon between the top and bottom (if that's what you want to do).

You could pack that gap with silicon if you're happy to live with the warp. Ideally, I'd find out why it warped (swollen batteries?) source a new bottom, and then seal it up with silicon.

Is it still working ?
Rgds.

szilamer

Post11 Jun 2012, 11:45

Hi,

Thank you for the answers. It's good to see a lot of crazy, expert watchlovers here :-) I think I am at good place to ask.

You are right, the bottom of my watch looks warped, so I was brave enough to open it.
Here is the bottom without the module and the batteries:

I can't really decide if this sticky thing is glue or the remaining of the battery. Is it normal to put glue under the battery ? Or this is a crazy idea ?
I see the battery holder/place is a lot bigger than the current battery.
The whole watch isn't old, I bought it last year from Hanno, so the batteries also shouldn't be old. ( Unfortunately, currently I can't contact him. )

Here is a picture from the module and the batteries:

The module is still working:

This picture looks strange to me:

What is that on the edge of the solar panel ?
Is it also glued to the module ?

Szilamer

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post11 Jun 2012, 12:10

I always fix my batteries in place(you guessed it, using silicon) before sealing up the module. I'm sure that yellow stuff in the battery wells is glue. The yellow stuff around the solar cell might be flux, or it too could be glue.

The batteries look fine to me. They haven't bulged, so they haven't caused your problem.
Perhaps the module got heat affected to warp the bottom. Did you put it really close to an incandescant globe ?
Or maybe chemically affected ?

Anyway, get a replacement bottom if you can, and be careful that you don't repeat whatever made this happen.
Rgds.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 Jun 2012, 19:21

i, too, was thinking something caused the bottom to warp, like too close to a heat source. the cells look like v40's not v80's. i have a mkII that has been running now on v40's for 3 yrs. i don't glue the cells in tho'. the v80's are such a close fit that with a little grinding in the depth of the cavities they fit just right. the sc may be glued down. i think with the new chip that hanno is using all the driver and segment transistors may be gone now?? {not sure about that} if they are there is a lot more space on top of the pcb. peter

Return to Electronical