It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 00:43

It's all over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

It's all over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post20 Jul 2012, 06:41

Well...After almost 1.5 years, my work on my beloved Seiko 0662-5009 has finally come to an end. I am not sure how, but while I was stretching the LCD assembly spring to the notch, the LCD started to bleed, and as far as I know, there is nothing that can repair this at all.

The funny thing is, I thought I had this issue solved, after carefully studding the Seiko manual, but replacing the LCD spring is a real challenge for sure. Maybe after 1000 tries, I would have got this correct, but for now, the watch is worthless. These modules are very hard to fix, and I wish there was some reference as to guide me a little better than a Seiko watch Manual mainly geared toward a Seiko repairman with 20+ years of experience. Maybe someday I will find a Seiko module for sale, but the last two I saw disappeared within a few minutes.

- Patrick
Last edited by retrowrist on 20 Jul 2012, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: It's all over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post20 Jul 2012, 14:10

Man, that sucks :-(
I had a similar problem with an lcd screen, and was able to "push back the ink" after carefully applying some pressure, slightly twitching the display etc. Sometimes the pressure created by just remounting the display could be enough. I don't think there's any harm in trying it, it's broken anyway :-?

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post20 Jul 2012, 14:55

I have a 0674 that the squeeze has worked on successfully. One thing to note try and take some of the spring out of the retaining clip. I have found that a bleeding panel is quite happy to jump back to bleeding with even the lightest of pressure.

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Jul 2012, 15:17

Thanks to both of you, and Adam, I wished I knew it was alright to bend the retaining clip before this little experiment. The manual is so very Spartan in it's describing the process of reassembling the LCD spring. Is there some sort of step by step manual/instructions on this ink squeezing process? I would like the instructions if there are any.

I really, really had high hopes fixing this one, believing that I fixed the blinking seconds portion of the segments, but the spring got me.

- Patrick

Return to Electronical