It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:56

My Synchronar rebuild. Yet more determination Part 4

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

led-fan

Geek

Geek

My Synchronar rebuild. Yet more determination Part 4

Post24 Jul 2012, 23:06

A while back I posted my efforts to bring back to life old Pulsars with determination. This time it's Riehl's turn. :lol:

About 3 months ago I took a punt on buying a box of old Synchronars from Barry Riehl. When the box arrived I was not too surprised to find a fair amount of badly corroded internals:

Here's a pretty poor example:

However amongst the carnage there were a few modules that looked promising along with some nice parts like a new Lexan case, new solar panel, new switches, inner and outer case and literature.

I always prefer to repair so I spent many an evening pouring over a microscope and silver epoxy and that awful goo that is synonymous with Synchronars !.

At best I had a watch with missing segments albeit original not good enough I thought.

Most of the recovered modules comprised of open wire bonded chips and displays, but there was one with a litronix type display....Hoorah there’s hope yet !
My first step was to start designing the PCB. I took my time and fistly got the dimensions correct which was aided by an original PCB Barry had provided.
This PCB stretched me little further as it has milled slots,is an odd shape and has very little room for components due to the Varta batteries. However my usual perseverance paid off and a week later a nice parcel arrived from the manufacturer.

Next step was to mount all the components with the trusty Weller iron and microscope and the magical solder paste.

Next…Enter my new friend programming. My first attempts kept being thwarted mainly due to crap reed switches, strong magnets, weak magnets….arrggghh.

I decided that it was time to build a jig with normal switches thus allowing me to program with some certainty. I can add the reeds at the end when I know the code is good.
I have already learnt a fair bit of programming with my Pulsar rebuilds however I had to learn a few more subroutines so I could implement Synchronar features like DOW with characters, freq adjust and leap year.
I struggled to understand the Synchronar leap year implementation; I could not understand how to set it, so I scoured this forum and found my answer. It seems that you don’t set the leap year it’s done at the factory. Again not good enough, I have made mine settable.
A number of weeks passed and I managed to program the code as per the setting instructions for a MK3 Synchronar posted again on this forum.

Here’s some pictures:

The Rawsar S3 module:

Solar panel and reeds installed (Reeds were redone many times !!!!!)

Base and Lexan top stuck together with Silicon:
Assembly time….strap re-brushed and case cleaned:

Happy days:

Leap year and speed set:
In it’s new home:

Stay tuned for my next LED watch adventure………………….

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Re: My Synchronar rebuild. Yet more determination Part 4

Post25 Jul 2012, 00:35

What a magical moment. is nice to see a classic brought back to life . Mr. Riehl will be proud his dream is still alive!!
The Synchronar is undoubtebly one of a kind timekeeping machine. Congrats.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post25 Jul 2012, 07:24

awesome work. i have been an uber failure at the mkIII/IV's. the I's/II's are simple compared. i have gotten 14 of them going. congrats. peter

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jul 2012, 08:59

Fantastic! Another great watch that's back from the dead. Can't stop admiring your hard work at resurrecting these watches. Congratulations! :-D
Image Image

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post25 Jul 2012, 10:50

thats an impressive achievement..great work and well documented. Another one for your collection. Congrats!
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post25 Jul 2012, 10:58

Top work !
I've dreamt about doing this, but never had the dedication to actually do it. Well done.
Just to be a bit anal, the leap year can be set on all models except the Mk1. You don't explicitly set it, you advance the months and the leap year changes when you transition from month 12 to month 1..............certainly not as nice as just setting it to 1,2,3 or4.

Rgds.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jul 2012, 12:29

Amazing work - I have trouble enough fixing a button never mind what you are doing.

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Post26 Jul 2012, 11:18

Thank you all for the possitive feedback, it's appreciated. :-)

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Post26 Jul 2012, 13:25

BTW Charger your commetns are not anal, useful in fact. The Forum is a great font of all digital watch knowledge !.

I do like the fact I can set the leap easily though as scrolling through 48 month sounds painful.

Cheers

8-)

Return to Electronical