It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:34

Restored - Seiko M159-5059

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Restored - Seiko M159-5059

Post21 Oct 2012, 01:07

Hello,

RESTORED:

ORIGINAL:

I have restored the crystal, case, and the bracelet on this Seiko M159-5059. This job was extremely difficult because it involved keeping the "crystal" in the case while I used Tin Oxide to buff it to a semi polish. Ideally I would have replaced the crystal, but that is expensive, and a new Crystal gasket would have been needed. This way, I was able to get a semi polish out of the existing crystal, and carefully restore thecase to a satin finish.

I had "three" semi working M159-5059 watches to work with, and swapped the parts from all three to get "two" working M159-5059 watches total. The second watch works perfectly, but I did not restore the crystal or the case at all, but all of it's functions work great. I used Ed's idea of an "Assembly Line" concept to use all available parts to construct as many working watch I could from the parts of three watches. So thank you Ed for the idea. Also, I want to thank "Phasar66" for giving me tips on how to use the Scotch Brite for the satin look. Overall the watch looks ok for the original condition I bought it in. The original condition was basically a hocky puk when I got it. It had the crap beaten out of it.

Two things about the watch do not work...1 the the Day segment for "Sat" does NOT load onto the LCD. The other thing is the front buttons are recessed too far into the case. I have to push them hard to get the light to light up. Are the buttons not fully out because the case is NOT fully pressed against the back? Would really pressing hard down on the back of the case allow the front buttons to fully stick out? If any of you can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

- Patrick
Last edited by retrowrist on 22 Oct 2012, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Restored - Seiko M159-5059

Post21 Oct 2012, 11:11

Awesome restoration :)
I repaired a m159 and a lot of segments didn't work. I've put two tiny slithers of insulation tape on top of the lcd panel, on the upper and lower side. This increased the pressure on the zebra strips slightly, now all the segments work. Too much extra pressure will destroy your lcd panel though!

About the switches, you might be able to adjust the switches in the module. Maybe some cleaning, careful bending?

crappy old photo:

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post21 Oct 2012, 11:36

very nice Patrick, but was the part under the 2 black buttons curved or did it had a corner like dutchiberia?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Oct 2012, 19:04

Here is my non working M159, bought on e-bay as non working hoping i could bring it back to life.
Unfortunatelly the LCD screen was broken and bled out...thus no hope and have to look for a new module.

Great job on the restoration...well done.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Oct 2012, 04:04

M159-5059 MODULE:

Thank you Kasper. Also, to answer your question, I have posted a photo below of the M159-5059 module I am using in this restored watch, and I have drawn-out the area when the pusher buttons push onto the circuit contacts push down at. There are two contacts. The first contact is for the start/stop function of the chronograph. The second is to activate the light function. My goal is to get the buttons to stick out of the case a little more. If you have a suggestion, that would be great.

Thank you,

- Patrick

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Oct 2012, 17:23

Something I might have missed, you are sure there is no filth under the buttons, preventing them to be fully pressed?

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Oct 2012, 20:41

dutchsiberia wrote:Something I might have missed, you are sure there is no filth under the buttons, preventing them to be fully pressed?

dutchsiberia,

No, I removed the microscopic "C" clamps from the front case buttons, then removed the buttons from the watch case, cleaned both the holes and the buttons themselves before returning them back into the case. Although there is no filth build-up, the buttons seemed to be a little recessed in the holes. I may try using a tiny sheet of plastic and tape them to the contacts when the buttons push onto, and that should "raise" the buttons out of the slots more.

Thank you very much,

- Patrick

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post25 Oct 2012, 09:37

i took a small piece of a toothpick to sit between the pusher and the contact..or you can look in the radio controlled shop for a wooden/carbon bar the same size as the pushers and cut a little piece from it.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Oct 2012, 19:43

kasper wrote:i took a small piece of a toothpick to sit between the pusher and the contact..or you can look in the radio controlled shop for a wooden/carbon bar the same size as the pushers and cut a little piece from it.

Kasper,

Great suggestion. I will explore both options, and get back toy you guys.

Thank all of you guys,

- Patrick

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

I went with the tooth pick idea

Post29 Oct 2012, 20:50

On Saturday I decided to use a small piece of a toothpick to boost the level of recession that the front buttons on my M159-5059...

At fist I was reluctant to using wood, because wood can rot if it gets wet, but wood is very east to shape, so tried it anyway. What I did is use double sided tape, and placed two small pieces of wood right on top of the button contacts, and when I closed the case back up, the buttons were slightly raised, and that was the goal. So thanks Kasper for the suggestion!

Thanks you guys,

- Patrick

Return to Electronical