It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:08

Seiko 0533-5020 - Crown/Stem mounting

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Seiko 0533-5020 - Crown/Stem mounting

Post05 Dec 2012, 19:51

Hello everyone,

I have a bit of a delema that I am going through at this time, and cannot seem to tackle it. I had bought a Seiko 0533-5020, and the stem was sticking when pushed in to activate the light feature. Of course this wat had a "Stem" to set the time and activate the light feature, so it plays a big part of the functionality of this watch.

After taking the stem out, cleaning the area, and using a little silicon grease, there was no change at all. Finally, I decided to purchase a new stem and crown from Jules Borel, but they had only the "0532A" model which seemed to be the exact same model. When the stem and crown arrived, I took a close look at them, and indeed, they looked identical. I tried attaching the crown to the stem, and when doing so, the crown screws only so far in and then stops! with it in this current state, the stem is WAAAAY TOO long! Is there a wrench/tool used to attach crown and stem together? Here is what I would like to know...

1) Are the 0532A and 0533A stem interchangeable?
2) Is there a tool or a wrench that correctly screws in a crown into a stem?
3) Do I need to gauge and match the size of the original stem, and then chop-off a portion of it to make it the correct size?

I am desperate here. I really need to know which direction to go in. If anyone can help or know how to attach a crown to a stem I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all,

- Patrick

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Seiko 0533-5020 - Crown/Stem mounting

Post05 Dec 2012, 20:07

point #3. your stem is interchangeable. stems are always too long on the threads to allow for different cases. you will need to insert the new stem into the case and movement to see how much too long it is. measure the distance from the case to the inside surface of the crown. this is the amount you will need to shorten the stem. do not take all of that off at once, maybe lacking 1-2 m/m. then shorten in small increments as you approach the length needed. be careful also in that the stem is hardened and somewhat brittle. the threaded portion is a little softer but can still be broken. i buy these items by 3's. then you can lose one, break one, and have the last one work. :lol: peter

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Dec 2012, 21:43

Peter,

So Would slowly sanding down the threaded side of the stem work best as I gauge and go along? That would sound the most practical. Also, thank you so much for replying to my message, I really really appreciate it a lot.

- Patrick

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Dec 2012, 23:28

without the proper equipment it would be a really slow process. you need to screw the crown down tight. install in case/mov't. measure how much too long it is. example-6m/m. i use a lathe and turn off the excess. [ really, really small watchmakers lathe and collet using a turning graver]. in your case, if it is 6m/m too long, remove it from the watch, unscrew the crown and using a good pair of cutting pliers cut off 4.5 m/m. then carefully file the end smooth taking care to not damage the threads. screw the crown back on[if it acts like it is cross threaded don't force it, the threads may need cleaning up] reinstall in case/mov't. carefully measure how much shorter it needs to be. repeat the above step using a fine flat file to shorten. it is more or less trial and error at this point, so don't take off too much or you will be too short. keeping the threads clean and uniform is critical. it would be easiest if you had some means of spinning it as you file. with a lathe and tools it is a quick process, maybe 10-20 min. doing it by hand may take an hour or more. peter

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Dec 2012, 09:17

Peter,

Thank you so much for the feedback.

- Patrick

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 Dec 2012, 21:15

Little trick

If you accidentally shave a tiny fraction too much off the stem, drop a tiny bit of solder into the crown recess ( unmelted, you are using the solder as a spacer in the threaded recess of the crown). Screw the stem in and try in the watch. Continue to add solder until the crown and stem fit and all functions work.

As others have said, once measured, shorten the stem slightly longer then the measure. Then slowly file the stem in tiny increments until it fits. If the last filing was too short by a hair, use the solder trick mentioned above.

The tool you are looking for is a pin vice. Most modeling shops have them. Very handy.

Some watch makers add a drop of epoxy or cyanoacrylate to the stem threads once the sizing is completed. This stopsg the crown from loosening. If the crow must be removed, heating the stem up will soften the glue. Of course the pin vice makes this easier.

Geoff

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Dec 2012, 01:02

Thank you Geoff and Clockace. I mean that!

I did manage to file down the stem to what looks to be the correct length, that will allow the activation of the light, and the changing of time. The crown sits almost perfectly. What I need for this watch is a good cleaning, and a battery hatch gasket.

Again, thank you both :-) .

- Patrick

Return to Electronical