It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:36

Pulsar p4 intermittent fault

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Plato

Geek

Geek

Pulsar p4 intermittent fault

Post14 Feb 2013, 23:16

I bought my lady one of these from ebay:
http://www.timetrafficker.com/watches/l ... /thumb.jpg

In great condition after a polish, a vintage watch with great design and she loved it. Batteries pre-installed and display is working fine. (incidentally, ladies led's do seem to be very cheap compared to the mens)

The problem: I have reset the time/date a few times now and it only keeps those settings for a day or 2 before resetting itself and restarting at 00.00 on 1/1... this keeps happening. So it really isn't usable and she is disappointed!

Does anyone have any suggestions please? It hasn't been in strong magnetic fields or anything. I was thinking of using some contact cleaner spray and giving it a good clean, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance

john

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Pulsar p4 intermittent fault

Post15 Feb 2013, 15:39

I wonder if the batteries are moving around causing the power to drop off and on, it would explain why the watch is resetting back to default, I would make sure the contact points are clean (use a fibre tipped pen and some isopropanol (rubbing) alcohol to clean) and purchase (or make) some battery spacers to prevent the batteries from moving around - see here http://www.ebay.com/itm/310594740977?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1 or here http://www.oldpulsars.com/ the original batteries had a larger diameter than the modern equivalent batteries, the spacers just take up the space to prevent them from shifting around.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Pulsar p4 intermittent fault

Post15 Feb 2013, 17:10

Some confusion going on here... The Pulsar P4s do NOT use the early 355 cells; only the P1s, P2s, and P3s required those. The P4s use the newer, smaller 357-size batteries, and so do NOT require spacers of any kind. Your watch is one of the Ladies Pulsar models, and is designed to use the 386-size cells. What could be happening here is the use of incorrect cells. 390s are exactly the same diameter as the 386s (and so WILL fit in the watch), but .9mm thinner, and so may not be making good contact with the battery connector (the briefest break in contact will cause the problem you describe). If you are already using 386s, try (carefully!) bending the connector fingers out a bit; that should ensure firm contact and solve the problem. If not, there is clearly an intermittent contact deeper inside the module; fixable, but it will be difficult to find.

Return to Electronical