It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:54

LCD Memosail repair

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

MacSki

Nerd

Nerd

LCD Memosail repair

Post09 Mar 2013, 13:47

Hi there! I'm wondering if somebody here could point me in the right direction - I'm trying to either source a replacement movement ESA 931671 Y2 or find an expert repair person who could simply fix the module for me. I'm guessing the module would be from the 80's or 90's. There are no obvious signs (acid spillage or track issues) on the movement as to why it's not going. I'm in Oz. Thanks.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: LCD Memosail repair

Post09 Mar 2013, 14:34

A picture always helps a lot(watch & movement). Consider that the more parts and such one has the less likely it might be they would both remembering every ESA movement's number.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post09 Mar 2013, 14:36

Hi Macski and welcome to the board.

i also had no idea how your watch looks like. And almost nobody here knows all the differend modules out of his/her head :-D

Is it this one?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

MacSki

Nerd

Nerd

Post09 Mar 2013, 14:43

Kasper wrote:Hi Macski and welcome to the board.

i also had no idea how your watch looks like. And almost nobody here knows all the differend modules out of his/her head :-D

Is it this one?

Thanks Kasper - yes, that is the watch! It's the second Memosail LCD I have seen in a looong while :-D

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post09 Mar 2013, 17:29

Movement picture please. Would like to help.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post09 Mar 2013, 19:02

From 1981- Cousins UK (the watch parts people) have the full technical manual available as a download. Belongs to that cluster of ESA modules that simply stop for no apparent reason and then restart a few months later! Usually the fault is battery leakage across the board and metal support straps intermittently "annoying" the oscillator circuit. I have found that this style of module should NOT be cleaned by dunking the whole circuit board into your favorite solution- instead use a small paintbrush and lightly dab the cleaner onto the board keeping as much as possible away from the "sealed" main chip. Similarly rinse off with a paintbrush and blower and then bake dry at about 60C. It's a very rare module indeed and you would be lucky to find another one!

MacSki

Nerd

Nerd

Post10 Mar 2013, 03:06

retroleds wrote:Movement picture please. Would like to help.

Ok, I've attached a photo of the movement. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MacSki

Nerd

Nerd

Post10 Mar 2013, 03:16

Old Tom wrote:From 1981- Cousins UK (the watch parts people) have the full technical manual available as a download. Belongs to that cluster of ESA modules that simply stop for no apparent reason and then restart a few months later! Usually the fault is battery leakage across the board and metal support straps intermittently "annoying" the oscillator circuit. I have found that this style of module should NOT be cleaned by dunking the whole circuit board into your favorite solution- instead use a small paintbrush and lightly dab the cleaner onto the board keeping as much as possible away from the "sealed" main chip. Similarly rinse off with a paintbrush and blower and then bake dry at about 60C. It's a very rare module indeed and you would be lucky to find another one!

Hi Old Tom, thanks for your advice. Hmmm, could you be little more specific about the " favourite solution"!? :-D For my "other" manual watches I'd know what solution to use but the electrics/electronics are something very new to me. And yes, I totally agree about this particular module being very scarce nowadays. I believe Memosail though was not the only co. which employed it in their watches so there must be some other branded watches utilising this movement? In fact, until a couple years ago this module was still available NOS from a supplier in Germany. Unfortunately, they have run out of stocks :-( Cheers

Return to Electronical