It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:41

Commodore LED Watch Module - Stuck on zero

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

PhoenixWing

Commodore LED Watch Module - Stuck on zero

Post26 Mar 2013, 20:29

Hello,

Managed to pick up an old Commodore LED watch, the one with the black strap and silver circular bezel on it. I expected it to be completely dead, but, after putting a new set of batteries in and fixing the battery tab, I see it light up the left most digit with "0". Now, from the old manual I found, I should be able to push the small button with my pen and start changing the time with the setting button after. However, the watch never seems to respond at all to anything. Just always stays on with the number 0 on the left. I've disassembled the module and can see there is a bit of corrosion on the board, probably from the old batteries but nothing that looks too serious. Now, my question is if anyone can offer some advice on where I should go from here. I've tried cleaning the battery terminal side of the board very gently with some alcohol on the parts that looked corroded to no avail so far. I'm scared to even go near the other side as it has a crazy small chip with bond wires sticking out of it.

Any ideas on what I could try? Or is this more likely new module time? (In such case.. would anyone know where I could find a new one?)

Cheers

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Commodore LED Watch Module - Stuck on zero

Post26 Mar 2013, 22:51

Warm (not melt ;-) the watch with a hair dryer. Install the batteries and see if it 'ticks'. Sound like the QC is dead, but maybe a micro connection in the IC or circuit (caps).

Don't know the freq of the QC but others will chime in.

Geoff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post27 Mar 2013, 04:52

The quartz crystal is the stand 32768 frequency. I have a handful of those modules if you run out of luck on it.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

PhoenixWing

Post27 Mar 2013, 09:22

I looked at the epoxied chip under a microscope earlier and they all look fine as far as I can see, so I'm going to hold off on heating that up for the last resort. Checked the crystal with my oscilloscope, but didn't see a thing coming from it. Going to try replacing that first and seeing what happens.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I'll have a working watch when the new crystal comes in.

Return to Electronical