It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:20

Texas Instruments 101 button issues

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

drovak

Texas Instruments 101 button issues

Post29 Mar 2013, 06:53

Hi all,

I just joined the group a little over a week ago, but am finally getting some time to post. I introduced myself over here a little earlier.

I bought a stainless model 101 many months ago, but the display button has always been rather sticky. It often jumps straight to the date after displaying the time for a brief second. When holding the button down to see the seconds, it often just skips straight to the date. It's not making a good connection. I've tried cleaning it with DeoxIT, but it didn't really help. TI certainly fixed this issue in their later models by using two metal fingers tied to the 1.5V bus via the battery spring, which meant no longer relying on a good connection with the button.

Is there a way to actually take apart the button from the case and clean the inside really well? I've tried repositioning the metal contacts on the module itself, to no avail. I popped this module in my stainless model 401, and it works great. I'd say it's definitely the button. Any advice would be much appreciated.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Re: Texas Instruments 101 button issues

Post29 Mar 2013, 08:46

hi there and welcome to the forum!
if your module jumps straight to the date then there is a connection :)
maybe it's just to sensitive? can't recall the construction of this model (maybe it's generic) but try some lubricant.
a picture would be nice.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Mar 2013, 08:56

I own a Texas Instruments 101. Mine works fine, but if the button is indeed contacting the tab and jumping to the date, then what I would try is taking the module out of the watch case, and try using something steel to active the button out of the case to see if it has something to do with the case enclosure itself. In other words...

1) module out of the case.
2) Put battery in battery well with a steel backing to close the circuit.
3) Try using a steel pin or a steel screwdriver to check the time/date.

If the same thing happens (time shows really fast, then the date jumps in) then the problem is with the module, but if the time displays normally for just 2 seconds, and disappears, then is is the buttons or the case if the Texas Instruments 101 watch. If the latter happens you may have to take the buttons completely out of the case, and clean the port where they fir, and the buttons themselves. I have never done this with LEDs, but I have done it with about 7 front-button Seikos.

Anyway, let us know how it turns out. :-)

- Patrick

drovak

Post29 Mar 2013, 18:28

retrowrist wrote:I own a Texas Instruments 101. Mine works fine, but if the button is indeed contacting the tab and jumping to the date, then what I would try is taking the module out of the watch case, and try using something steel to active the button out of the case to see if it has something to do with the case enclosure itself. In other words...

1) module out of the case.
2) Put battery in battery well with a steel backing to close the circuit.
3) Try using a steel pin or a steel screwdriver to check the time/date.

If the same thing happens (time shows really fast, then the date jumps in) then the problem is with the module, but if the time displays normally for just 2 seconds, and disappears, then is is the buttons or the case if the Texas Instruments 101 watch. If the latter happens you may have to take the buttons completely out of the case, and clean the port where they fir, and the buttons themselves. I have never done this with LEDs, but I have done it with about 7 front-button Seikos.

Anyway, let us know how it turns out. :-)

- Patrick

I mentioned in my OP that I tried the same module in my 401, and it works without any issue. I think that pretty much narrows it down to it being a button issue, right? And yes, I have played with the module outside the case, and it works just fine.

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Mar 2013, 19:14

Sorry for missing that information Sir,

Then yes, it has to be the case/buttons. I am not sure if the case allows you to remove the buttons for cleaning, but you need to do what ever it takes to fully clean and adjust the case in order for the button to retract correctly. A while ago, I has a Hughes / CompuChron watch that would not allow any "DATE" advancement. Oddly enough, it turned out to be a problem with the watch bezel. Someone finally fixed this isssue though y removing the pushers and cleaning an obstruction.

Anyway, I don't have much more advice. Hopefully someone else will see this and know how to fux it.

- Patrick

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post29 Mar 2013, 20:56

Your swap proved button issue.

The following are for the permanent press to fit pushers with rivet caps on the inside. These do not come off without ruining the rivet cap.

Before you take apart buttons that are press to fit and rivet try the following. Don't use solvents, the pushers may contain gaskets (does the case say water resistant). Examine the pusher, is it bent. Rotate the cap and see if it is off kilter to the plane of the case. Try to straighten it gently. If it is straight do the following:

1 Try a thorough clean in hot soapy water with a tooth brush working it around the pushers. Sometimes detritus gets inside the cap of the pusher. When the pusher is pressed it may not have enough clearance to make a firm contact and you get a bounce. That is two inputs instead of one. Lots of hot soapy water, working the pusher continuously in the water. Also clean the pusher end inside the case.

2 if above didn't work, get out a frying pan and place some dishwater soap (the type for a dishwasher). It contains KOH (potassium hydroxide). Boil the water, reduce to a simmer and place case in pan under the water. Boil for a few minutes. This dissolves DNA goop. Now cool off and repeat step one.

3 if this did not work try alcohol and tooth brush. Always work the pusher while you are doing this.

All of the above will dry the gaskets if they are installed. So next lubricate the gasket with silicon grease or silicon spray from the automotive supply shop. They use this for door rubbers and etc. as some oils will dissolve gaskets. Just soak the cap end and inside case end while working the pusher. This will allow it to penetrate.

If it still does not work obtain a pusher pull from a watch supply house. Caution, if the pusher is fixed in place with a rivet or a splay at the end, it may not be replaceable.

Let us know how it works.

Geoff

Return to Electronical