It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:12

Timex SSQ display/power problem

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

gedsmit

Timex SSQ display/power problem

Post22 Apr 2013, 21:58

Hi

My first watch as a young teenager was a Timex SSQ LCD - the silver model with black moulding, with the timex logo in the middle beneath the display (UK version I think, not the US model with Timex top left and SSQ bottom right) Absolutely loved it.

I'm not a watch collector (yet!) but a few weeks ago I scored a gorgeous one on ebay, with original case, manual, warrany, receipt (8th November 1978) for £32 (UK pounds).

Unfortunately by the time it got to me it wasn't working. The display was really faint, could only be seen from an angle, and the seconds were running about 5 times too fast! I had the back off and tried a different battery - the closest I think to a Times Type H - SR43W (386). For a short while the watch worked fine - clear display, running normally - but then went faint again, as above.

Tried wriggling the battery about, sometimes the disppaly appears agaian - then goes again.

I don't think its a connection problem - the inside is really clean, no corrosion on the battery points. It seems to be some kind of power flow problem, if there is such a thing!

Ther seller was very good - reckoned that the watch shop replaced the battery and was working fine. Refunded £20, so I'm left with a lovely condition watch for repair or to find a replacement works.

Just wondering if anyone recognises this type of problem. For instance I left it a while, connected the battery, and everything OK for about 10 seconds. The light (left button) worked. In fact it till works when the problem occurs, but seems less bright.

Can give more info/photos, but thought Id put this out there if anyone recognises the symptons?

Cheers

Ged
(UK)

gedsmit

Re: Timex SSQ display/power problem

Post28 Apr 2013, 20:30

Tried uploading a couple of pics, but files too big - guess I nned to lower the pixels.

Not to worry - sure most peple on the forum have seen these before! Just tried again, and watch works fine for a few seconds, then goes again. Really annoying. I'm sure its not a battery connection issue - the connectors are clean as a whistle. Wonder if there's such a thing as not being able to control the power?!

Just wondering if this is a problem that means the watch is on its way out, and I should look out for another one to take the works out - or whether it could be fixable?!

Cheers

Ged

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post29 Apr 2013, 17:30

Hi gedsmit,

Welcome to the board from us all.
It's a common problem, don't forget your watch is more then 30 years old.
I also havea watch that worked perfect for months and suddenly the same problem as yours.. fading digits etc. We still have no idea why some have this problem and other don't. It must have something to do with the quality of the components cause most of the old seiko, s and first casio, s don't have the problem. But we still cannot pin point where the problem comes from.

I left the battery out for a few months and suddenly she worked again, don't ask me why. ?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

gedsmit

Post29 Apr 2013, 20:39

Cheers Kasper

Good to know! What you say rings true as the guy who sold it reckoned it worked fine, then must have stopped working during transit. Also the few times I've left it for a while, it works fine for a bit then goes again. And once it goes, it'll stay like that!

Its a nice shell though, so reckon I'll look out for a beat up one that works and swap the insides over.

Having looked through this forum though I can certainly see the appeal in old digital watches - I quite fancy a nice minimalist LED one now :-D

Ged

Return to Electronical