It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:42

Pulsar P2, reed switch?

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

smokefrog

Geek

Geek

Pulsar P2, reed switch?

Post29 Apr 2013, 20:05

hello all,
i acquired a pulsar p2 one button module that had the infamous "0" which i figured it was the quartz crystal, so i installed a new qc and now it it keeps time sort of, it just counts second continuously. i have the module out of the case with test leads supplying the power when i wave a magnet there is no effect. i can hear the reed switch clicking when the magnet is present but it has no effect on the module which continuously counts off the seconds, could this be a bad reed switch?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
gus

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Pulsar P2, reed switch?

Post29 Apr 2013, 23:16

I am not an expert on the subject but you could always bridge across the read switch to test for function. :idea:

smokefrog

Geek

Geek

Post30 Apr 2013, 03:32

when you mean "bridge" that would manually jump the reed switch on, but i think my reed switch is stuck on, how would you manual turn it off without removing it?

thanks for the reply,

gus

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 May 2013, 04:30

You could use an ohm meter to check the continuity of the reed switch. If you're getting zero ohms that reed switch is shorted or "stuck on" and the only solution would be to replace that switch. You could test the watch functionality by either unsoldering one side of the reed switch and seeing if the constant counting of the seconds stops, then manually "connect" the time function by using a wire. You should see the brief display of time then the counting of the seconds. Hope this helps.

smokefrog

Geek

Geek

Post04 May 2013, 16:52

thanks for the reply!

it seems that a replacement reed switch is needed, and matching the reed switch to the case button is a shot in the dark. i wonder if @bay would be a place to find a replacement reed switch?
later

gus

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 May 2013, 11:40

there is an existing discussion on a source of replacement reed switches. Bruce mentioned you can still order from the original Pulsar supplier however it requires a minimum quantity. Follow the link and read on. Good luck in finding a working switch.

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=3633&p=22516&hilit=reed+switch+replacement#p22516

smokefrog

Geek

Geek

Post06 May 2013, 15:41

thanks for the reply,

i remember that thread from some time ago, but it did not produce any switches, i will search for a dead module for a spare switch.

later
gus

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 May 2013, 20:27

I know Pulsar color coded their switches, however you may get lucky and find a switch that matches your module. I've been pretty fortunate with my Pulsar watch cases and was able to interchange modules without any functional issues. Probably the only challenge was getting the right magnet for the setting function of these watches. Some watches work really well and are responsive to the setting magnet and some are an absolute pain and requires an external stronger magnet to complete the time and date setting. Sometimes using a stronger magnet causes both reed setting switches to activate causing more difficulty in setting the time. However, it's a rare occasion of having to set the time so it's not too bad. You just "set it and forget it" :)

Good luck with your reed switch swap. Be very careful in how you remove and position these switches, the slightest pressing on the leads will fracture the glass on these switches.

smokefrog

Geek

Geek

Post07 May 2013, 00:25

thanks for the reply,

i have a bunch of pulsars and hamiltons in my collection all of which show the wrong time, i hate setting them. i have one pulsar p3 that is a daily weaerr that is dented / scratched which i enjoy the most, and is set to the correct time.

later

gus

Return to Electronical