It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:26

Omega Constellation LCD - Sticky Pusher

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

NewOldStock

Omega Constellation LCD - Sticky Pusher

Post16 Apr 2014, 03:09

Hello,

The top left pusher (date-sec) on my Omega Constellation LCD cal 1620 is beginning to stick. It still works, technically, but it can be frustrating. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions on how to remedy the problem? I'm not experienced enough to try and fix myself, but am also concerned that a watch repair shop in my area probably hasn't dealt with many vintage digital watches of this nature. So I'm hesitant to take it to just anyone. Thanks for your help.

NOS.

Omega.jpg

Omega 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Omega Constellation LCD - Sticky Pusher

Post16 Apr 2014, 10:58

A drop of watch oil applied to the pusher, and allowed to flow into the seal, should free it up. Try exercising the button 20-50 times in rapid succession; you should actually feel the button loosening with each additional push, until it moves in both directions without resistance beyond the spring tension. This works on sticky Pulsar buttons, too.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post16 Apr 2014, 19:06

Hi Bruce, and New old stock!

Bruce, how does watch oil react with silicon/rubber gaskets? Just mentioning this as some oils will dissolve the gasket or cause it to become a gluey mess.

I would suggest a silicon based lubricant. The type you get for at the automotive shop for spraying on door gaskets. These actually will restore the dried out hardened gasket and lube without possibly dissolving the internal pusher gasket.

The best way is to remove the movement and see if the pusher can be removed, gasket then lubed with silicon gel and reassembled.

If you get a can of the silicon lube spray, then spray a little into a small bowl an due a small screw driver to place a drop around the base of the pusher. If brave, remove the case back and movement and repeat to,the inside of the pusher.

Geoff.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post16 Apr 2014, 22:02

I've never had watch oil damage a silicone rubber seal. I use your method of application...gives good control over how much you use, and where you apply it. If you're going to remove the module, you can also try applying some gentle heat (say, around 120F or 50C); that lowers the viscosity of the oil a bit and allows it to penetrate better. If it's the type of button held in place by one of those nearly-microscopic "C"-rings, a complete cleaning and re-lubrication would be possible, and that would be the best option.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post17 Apr 2014, 01:04

I have also used watch oil to lubricate sticky buttons, I have never had a problem but I stopped doing it as a precaution when I read on a previous thread that it could cause damage to the seals.

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 Apr 2014, 19:34

The nicest solution would be to replace the old gasket of course, are they still available? Maybe an generic replacement? I've got some vintage seventies Seiko chronographs. They had sticky buttons, after new gaskets the "button action" was silky smooth again :)

Return to Electronical