It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:05

No sound - suspect the upconverter coil...can anyone help?

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

nick0123

Techie

Techie

No sound - suspect the upconverter coil...can anyone help?

Post16 Dec 2014, 10:15

Hi,

I have three quite rare LCD watches all with the same problem - no sound.

The piezo speakers are good in all of them, and the coil springs are making good contact.

This just leaves the upconverter coil which is the issue in at least one of them since it's loose and I'm pretty sure not making contact anymore.

Is anyone able to solder a replacement onto the circuitboard? I have a reasonably small soldering iron but is probably massive for what the watches need and after trying with limited success to remove one from a dead watch have decided my expertise lies in other areas.

The watches are a Seiko G757, Cheong Koon Sexum, and Meister Anker Space Raiders.

Many thanks :)

meister.jpg

g757.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: No sound - suspect the upconverter coil...can anyone hel

Post16 Dec 2014, 13:06

Did you tried to isolate the whole circuitboard from the backplate so only the spring is touching it?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

charger105

Guru

Guru

Re: No sound - suspect the upconverter coil...can anyone hel

Post16 Dec 2014, 14:14

The Technical Guide suggests the upconverter coil on the G757 should measure about 10 Ohms.
If it measures substantially different to this, then at least you'll know that this is the problem.

I think I remember measuring one that worked fine on a G757 and it was about 20 Ohms, so this spec may be a bit off.
If it has failed, it'll probably be open circuit, or short circuit.
Rgds.

Return to Electronical