It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:50

Opening pulsar P2

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

cte

Techie

Techie

Opening pulsar P2

Post21 Dec 2014, 21:51

Hi all. :)

I'm sure this has been asked many times before... I did a search here but could not find an answer.

The last time I changed my P2 battery, I took it to a jeweller. After an hour I went back to pick it up. The battery had been replaced :) ...BUT, there were small scratches to the crystal. :'(

That was two years ago and I need the battery changing again. What are my options?

I see the pulsar opening tools on eBay, but the bids go higher than I wou prefer. Is there a standard watch opening tool I can buy and use myself?

Basically, what is the cheapest tool for opening up a P2 safely?

Thanks all and Merry Christmas. :D

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Opening pulsar P2

Post22 Dec 2014, 01:18

The safest method would be to use the correct tool, new ones can be purchased and are relatively inexpensive - probably cheaper than having the watch refurbished to removed accidental scratches, Bruce was selling the complete range of Pulsar opening tools not so long back and I have seen other sellers on eBay advertising them. The correct tool also makes it easier to replace the screw ring without cross threading. If the case back is not on too tightly it can be removed with care with one of the cheap two pronged openers - such as item number 400826084922 although I think if you have invested your cash in purchasing a nice Pulsar then the sensible thing to do would be to purchase the correct case opener to go along with it, Bruce has one on eBay right now - item number 271650262366.

cte

Techie

Techie

Post22 Dec 2014, 21:29

Thank you so much for the thorough reply. :) I will have to think about it. It's still quite expensive for me to buy the one from Bruce. My p2 was also acting a bit funny last time it was running. Not sure if the module is dying or it was just the battery. Don't want to spend a lot and find the module is knackered lol.

Thanks again and merry Christmas!! :D

Retroriley

Nerd

Nerd

• Location: The Royal County of Berkshire, UK. Where the Queen of England Lives :)

Post06 Jan 2015, 17:11

I have a spare P2 opening tool ( a proper one ) which you can have for £15 delivered (UK delivery). It came with a P2 I bought from the USA and after I'd bought one of Bruce's tools, D'oh !!

This is a proper tool (silver, 4 prong, looks like a proper Pulsar one to me) and not a cheapo two prong jobbie !

PM me if you are interested :)
Neil

cte

Techie

Techie

Post14 Jan 2015, 00:09

I just wanted to say a big thank you to Retroriley. I am now able to open my P2! :P It is working, but probably losing about 20 seconds a day. It's certainly better than a dead watch.

Thanks again Retroriley. Happy new year all! :mega:

Magic_Al

Post17 Oct 2015, 23:47

You get what you pay for and I may yet get one of those proper Pulsar wrenches, but I can "review" another cheap alternative, this adjustable two-prong crab tool: http://amzn.com/B00JP4L7OK

It works if you're very careful, and I guess you have more control than with one of those side-handled ones. If it's your first time hopefully it's not your watch's first time being a victim: the back of the first case I opened already had a scratch and I added another one. Lessons learned: have a case holder (such as http://amzn.com/B00NMB19CC or better). Remove the watch band completely to give yourself more clearance. Once you have the tool's prongs in the notches on the screw ring, before doing anything, gently turn the adjustment knob on the tool back and forth to fine tune the width and tightness within the grove you're in. When you start opening, go slow.

Return to Electronical