It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:07

Driver transistor change

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Driver transistor change

Post25 Mar 2015, 22:57

Hi all I have a nice S/S Omega TC2 with the top row of digits missing, and before I go F in it up.
I was just wondering if it's a similar job on a Timex changing driver transistors?
Cos if it is I would rather cock it up/ learn on a Timex with the same problem.
Or am I thinking out my behind. ;-) :grin1:
Thanks in advance. Pete
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Re: Driver transistor change

Post26 Mar 2015, 00:17

Up date...
Just rooted out my Timex and puled it apart and I think I was right with the last part. :grin1:
Unless someone knows better?? :call:
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post26 Mar 2015, 09:38

Hu jagmad.
The early Omega/Pulsar movements had discreet driver transistors to power the display. As ICs quickly evolved, these transistors were integrated into the IC, so most LED modules simply have an IC and a few oscillator components. Whilst this is more efficient from an electronics perspective, it does mean that these later modules can't really be fixed if the IC has a fault causing a single segment to be out (in fact it'd be more likely that the connection to the display, or the display itself had a fault).

So, in a nutshell, I don't think your Timex will have discreet driver transistors.
Replacing a driver transistor on your TC2 movement isn't all that difficult, but does require very accurate placement of the new transistor.If it's wrongly placed, the conductive epoxy will either short things that shouldn't be shorted, and/or not make the required connection at all.

Rgds.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post26 Mar 2015, 10:57

Hi Chager105 thanks for that, I thought as much and guess I was looking for confirmation.
Will heating the driver with a soldering iron help with the removal of the US one?
Also do you know of any other tips/tricks to this procedure to help a novice like me. :call:
I don't want to do more damage trying to fix it.
thanks in advance
Pete

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post26 Mar 2015, 14:01

Don't heat it. Just grab it with tweezers or fine pliers, give it a twist and it should just pop off. Be sure it is the transistor before removing it though ;-)
It could be the display connection, or display itself.
Try lightly pressing down on the transistor with a cotton bud (with the display lit). This might temporarily improve a poor connection.
This will help you identify the correct transistor(bottom of page):
http://crazywatches.w.interia.pl/photo/ ... _tech.html

Once again, it can be tricky to attach a new one.
Rgds.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post26 Mar 2015, 18:50

Thanks I had already posted about this a while back and knew about the Link,
To find the correct driver,
I'm still apprehensive about this though, ~:(
I'm thinking what if the epoxy touches each other causing a short.
Also like you said it might not be the driver. AAAARGH.
I'll give it a push like you suggested first see if she lights up.
Maybe I should just farm this one out! :scratch: :-?

Return to Electronical