It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:58

Diesel DZ 7099 electronic broken?

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

neikei

Diesel DZ 7099 electronic broken?

Post11 Jul 2018, 22:04

Hi guys,

first time here :)

Please forgive me if I sound ignorant at any point, but I have not much experience with digital watches. In fact, I didn't wear any watch for the last 15 years.

But now a good friend gave me his old Diesel watch (a DZ 7099) and now I would like to wear it. It's an analog-digital combo watch, and the digital part has a problem.

The batteries were dead, but i managed to open the case and change them both (a small battery for the analog part and a bigger one for the digital part). Both changes worked fine.

Now the hands are happily ticking away, but the LCD display is the opposite of dead – meaning every LCD cell/field (i don't know the correct term) is black. So the display shows 18:88:88 in the time area, all the pixels in the pixel area, etc. The buttons don't do anything, there is no reaction. There is supposed to be a blue backlight, but that's also off.

If it were a computer, I would say, it is stuck while booting. But I guess, even modern watches are somehow hardwired/hardware only, so there seems to be another problem.

I took the battery out and put it in again several times ("rebooting"), but to no avail. I also left it running for two days now - no change.

There are no signs of any physical damage, no dents from dropping etc. My friend says, last time it worked without problems.

I found a manual online, but it is only one page in a compilation manual for different Diesel models. Just which buttons to push, no troubleshooting.

Is this a common problem with an easy fix or are the electronics just broken?

Thanks in advance :)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Diesel DZ 7099 electronic broken?

Post12 Jul 2018, 10:01

hi and welcome,

several options.

-try pushing several buttons at ones to start the watch
-look at the inside if there is a small hole labeled (-) negative....try to short it with the positive side of the batt inside the watch...1 small electrical wire in the - hole and the other side press against the + side of the batt.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

neikei

Post14 Jul 2018, 11:45

Hi Kasper,

thanks for the reply and sorry for my late answer – I haven't been home to try out your suggestions.

I did some button-pushing before, but now I tried it systematically: Every combination possible with four buttons. But nothing helped.
I also looked for a minus-hole, but couldn't find any. I'll try to upload a pic.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post14 Jul 2018, 11:46

Try this..just make a combination of the +side of the batty(while in the watch) and the rest of the surrounding metal
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

neikei

Post14 Jul 2018, 12:00

Also didn't work unfortunately.

IMG_5032.JPG
With battery

IMG_5036.JPG
Without battery
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neikei

Post14 Jul 2018, 13:07

I just played around with the watch and the screwdriver while watching a Youtube video, trying to short-circuit it again – and all of a sudden it works!

:dwf: :-D

Thank you so much!!!

neikei

Post15 Jul 2018, 10:54

Ok, short postscript:

The buttons were still not working, and now there was an annoying high-pitched tone emitting from the watch. So I took it apart completely and found the REAL error.

My friend told me, the last time he got the batteries changed, the watch guy messed up and forgot to change the lower battery. So he couldn't have been very professional. And lo and behold: He managed to forget a little rubber piece and a white plastic disc BENEATH the circuit board, so that it was raised and the button contacts couldn't reach the board. The disc and the rubber piece were probably to shield the two batteries from one another, so I put the disc in place and threw the rubber away.

And now I have a fully working watch - my only problem is: How do I get the lid back on?

I tried freezing it to shrink it, but that didn't work. Is there an easy home fix or do I need to bribe a watchmaker with a cup of coffee, so that he can close it up?

Return to Electronical