It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:55

My solution to a weak Pulsar P2 button

Discuss problems, tricks and hints on case restoration, tools,watch buttons and tools.
  • Author

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

My solution to a weak Pulsar P2 button

Post12 Aug 2012, 01:57

I bought this nice non working P2 date the other day because I had a beat up Hamilton with a working module.
I refinish the watch and procced to the module transplant, the time command button refused to work, the reed was good
I knew because switching the module 180 degrees to the date command got it working. I try to adjust the time reed with no luck,
I mean I move that thing everywhere and nothing, I knew reeds and magnets are match but finding a matching reed for this watch
and testing will be too much work, and replacing a bad button is no fun, what to do. after a week I came with this idea,what if I can assit the button with another tiny magnet, just to increase the magnetic field, I played with a small magnet from the outside of the wath so when pressing the button the time will display, it works. Now lets get the magnet inside the case, I filled the magnet to a rectangular shape so not to interfere with anything inside, I temporarilly intalled the magnet with double sided tape
untill I found the sweet spot, then I used epoxy to fix it there permanent, SUCCESS!!. It work like a dream now, you can even tweek the position of the magnet to your taste. Enjoy the pictures.[/size][/color][/size][/size]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Re: My solution to a weak Pulsar P2 button

Post12 Aug 2012, 09:37

Fantastic! I'm very glad that your Date II works well now. It seems that this can be the solution for all the people who have a Pulsar with a non working button!
Image Image

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Aug 2012, 15:11

This sounds like a good idea - good alternative than trying to taking the button apart. Now have you got a simple way to replace a quartz crystal extal :-D

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post12 Aug 2012, 15:39

Maybe you can use your magical Wand and say "reparo". :-D
Btw.. Clever and easy solution.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Aug 2012, 06:36

Ade51 wrote:This sounds like a good idea - good alternative than trying to taking the button apart. Now have you got a simple way to replace a quartz crystal extal :-D

Quartz crystal, I have done 2 so far with success, Is not hard if you have a good soldering iron, you know the ones you can adjust the temperature. this make it easy because you can do it quick with out overheating . I have the Hakko brand and is very good. if the module is not working or only one digit lights, I shake the module and listen for a rattle, a sign that the crystal inside the canister has separated, The crystal replacement not always will solve the problem, sometimes the problem is downstream on the oscillator circuit and an oscillator chip will do it. I think the Xtal replacement is the easiest to do and is very rewarding. I you haven't you should try it.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Aug 2012, 18:35

Thanks Phaser66 - I will. I've found a lowish (20w) wattage iron with a 1mm fine tip. I do have a few modules where only 1 digit lights up so maybe a new QC could fix some of them. Its a bit daunting though as looking at some of them (particulary a Pulsar mens dress watch module I have) its difficult to see where the ends of the QC solder onto the board.

Are there any links to 'how to' guides anyone knows about - I've had a look but haven't found one that is detailed.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post14 Aug 2012, 18:34

Ade51 wrote: Its a bit daunting though as looking at some of them (particulary a Pulsar mens dress watch module I have) its difficult to see where the ends of the QC solder onto the board.

Are there any links to 'how to' guides anyone knows about - I've had a look but haven't found one that is detailed.
Don't try to solder to the board, you will lift the traces and ruin it. Rather, look at the crystal, it is actually soldered into a metal tab that has two holes in the end of it - the tab is connected to the board. If you use a thin clamp (or two, as I show here,,,module balanced on my thumbnail), you can get it between the board and the point where the crystal is soldered. I personally would suggest an 15-20w iron that is not temperature controlled. Temperature controlled irons are good for specific tasks, but the lag when they are cycled down can leave you glued to a spot on something a little larger, while you wait for the iron to heat up. Really bad for desoldering with desoldering wick - the wick will suck the life out of a smaller temp-controlled iron and you will kill the circuit while you wait for the iron to actually melt the solder. Myabe my real hatred for temp-controlled irons came during my stained glass hobby.....nothing like smoothly running a line of the solder for finishing a long section and having the iron lock up. nNyway, yeah, learn to swap crystals.
dress.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Aug 2012, 01:00

Thanks Ed, I've got my iron and will have a go next week. I have an NSC module from a trafalgar that only shows 1 digit and looks simple enough. I'll have a go with this before I start on the Pulsar.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Aug 2012, 15:45

Had a go at replacing a NSC QC and......success... see post about Watch Job Lots - a nice Novus brought back to life :-D . The NSC module was a simple place to start but where do I start with a Pulasr Mens Dress Module - I can't see where the QC is soldered onto the module. Does the module split in 2 to see the board easier?

Return to Mechanical