It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:58

Seiko A039; it was all going so well until.....

Discuss problems, tricks and hints on case restoration, tools,watch buttons and tools.
  • Author

SKEXIS1

Seiko A039; it was all going so well until.....

Post27 Aug 2012, 22:13

Well, I think the photograph says it all!

I was doing OK; case refinishing going well, module working with nice strong digits, then this happens! :eek:

Interestingly enough, in the manual for the A039-5019, the glass assembly is all shown as one piece, i.e a glass set into a stainless steel bezel. However it is possible to part them and that's what I'd done, with the intention of taking out some scratches then re-assembling the whole thing.

Out came the new Dremel; not sure whether I'd got it running too fast, or left it one place for two long and it got too hot, but either way I don't think it's going to be able to help me now! :roll:

I was wondering what suggestions people had; there is a guy on Ebay who is selling the full glass / bezel assemblies but these aren't cheap. I was looking at Cousin's as another option, but to be honest there are so many different types of Sternkreuz types I got pretty confused pretty quickly!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Seiko A039; it was all going so well until.....

Post29 Aug 2012, 23:35

i cut them myself..i have 1.5 mm glass here. Maybe you can ask a juweller in the neigbourhood, he could do it.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Jan 2013, 15:31

The NOS replacement glasses on ebay are damn good value. £22 for a new glass ready to go is amazing.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post27 Jan 2013, 01:40

Mishaps like this are exactly why I NEVER use power tools for restoration work...they just amplify the destructive effects of a slip. Whatever you might gain in speed, you lose tenfold in such situations.

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Jan 2013, 14:36

I agree with you Bruce, powertools on a watch is a big nono for me too.
Skexis1 ,here is a new crystal including frame on ebay, the price is very reasonable considering it can't be bought in any shop anymore.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIKO-A039-40 ... 5d38c63637

Return to Mechanical