It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:26

Rubber Watch Band - Reeks w Smoke

Discuss problems, tricks and hints on case restoration, tools,watch buttons and tools.
  • Author

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Rubber Watch Band - Reeks w Smoke

Post21 Mar 2013, 23:11

Hi,

Recently purchased a LCD Watch Citizen Independent /w a white rubber band and case.

The problem is the band seems to have yellowed with age but smells strongly of "smoke". So I'm assuming it's yellowed due to cig. smoke. :~#

Any way to clean this up and get rid of the smell or is it a lost cause?

Thanks

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: Rubber Watch Band - Reeks w Smoke

Post21 Mar 2013, 23:15

Good luck with that - the tars from smoke bind pretty strongly to rubber and plastic. You could try something like Fantastic cleaner, followed by some rubbing alcohol. I have some white bands of recent construction that are nice and clean, but I don't now what your lug size is.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post22 Mar 2013, 00:55

Thanks - I'll give that a try first.

I'll had previous luck removing the smell with black rubber bands covered in a tight jar with baking soda for a week and then charcoal for another week.

The problem here as well is the color.

I'll report back the results.

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post22 Mar 2013, 06:20

Reporting back, did some research on removing cig. smoke and tar from houses, someone suggested plain shaving cream :grin1: I guess there's a chemical in that which kills the smell and breaks down the tar.

I took the whole watch apart, removed the movement, scrubbed down the band and case in shaving cream, and to my surprise it seemed to be much better in smell and look. Then I cleaned that and treated it with a "enzyme cleaner spot treatment" (like Shout it Out in the States).

Once that was complete, I used some sneaker white polymer to clean up the band and case.

I'm now pleased with the results, the smell is gone and it's minty two shades of white.

Thought I would pass it along to future generations :call:

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Mar 2013, 17:11

As they say on the internet, "Photos or it didn't happen!" :-D

What does the band look like after the cleaning? I'd have never thought shaving cream would solve your problem, I was thinking Febreeze for the smell lol.

Return to Mechanical