It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:29

cracked glass on seiko sbpg003

Discuss problems, tricks and hints on case restoration, tools,watch buttons and tools.
  • Author

Plato

Geek

Geek

cracked glass on seiko sbpg003

Post17 Aug 2013, 09:06

shame... I dropped my seiko spirit lcd about 2 to 3 inches onto a cat iron bath...which left a full width horizontal crack :-(

does anybody here know where to source new ones and how difficult a job it is... are the cases sealed?

tia

j

Plato

Geek

Geek

Re: cracked glass on seiko sbpg003

Post26 Sep 2013, 22:22

bump...actually it is an sbfg003 model... it would help if I got it right! ;-)

I finally got a reply from seiko uk. They cannot source a new crystal/ glass as it is from japan, and not a UK released model. The only option is for them to send it to Japan to get an estimate which will cost £75. Add the repair price on top and it's starting to look uneconomic for a watch I could buy new for £250 or so.

Does anyone have any suggestions... custom new glass? sell it on eBay?!

thanks

john

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post24 Jan 2014, 01:22

Ok, no one answered me so I will post my own reply - it has been a learning experience..I have a watch in great working order but not really usable. This is what it originally looked like:

I then found a custom fit crystal maker in south London, who offered to make and fit a new one for £30, so at that price I accepted.

Then.... :bang:
On inspection the crystal is printed on the inside with the Seiko logos - should have been obvious to us but it wasn't. So now I am getting a plain watch back which will look something like this (thanks to photoshop):

On reflection I don't like it much but it is better than nothing I guess. I could always ebay it, or it might grow on me? Anyone have any suggestionsto improve the look or restore the writing?? I'm stumped.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post24 Jan 2014, 01:56

Sorry to hear about your misfortune :-( I would wait to see what the watch looks like when it comes back, you might end up liking the plain look and enjoy the fact that the watch with the glass replaced makes it unique to you. :-)

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Jan 2014, 14:02

I agree with Bucko, or you could list it as a one-of-a-kind-rare-watch or even a prototype and ask a huge reserve.

:eek: :eek: M:)W:)M :-P :-P :-P :grin1: :grin1: :grin1:
Last edited by 767Geoff on 25 Jan 2014, 02:06, edited 1 time in total.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post24 Jan 2014, 18:16

767Geoff wrote:......or you could list it as a on-of-a-kind-rare-watch or even a prototype and ask a huge reserve.

:lol: Your a bad man Geoff :grin1: Who would do such a thing? :roll: :scratch:

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post24 Jan 2014, 18:59

Hmmmm suggest it was done in fthe original factory perhaps....I like that idea - but surely no one would ever believe it!

I do think it increases the value veing one of a kind - anyone want to buy it? only £ 800 to dwf members
;-)

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 Jan 2014, 18:46

That's the risk we all take when we wear our watches.

Now that the scratch is out of the way, I say wear the crap out of it and don't worry ever again about getting it dinged up. :-D

It's a Seiko, and Wabi-Sabi go hand in hand.

A few years back watch collectors started using the term wabi when talking about dirt, grime, and discoloration that old watches acquire. But wabi is not synonymous with crud. Wabi is better thought of as the feeling of sorrow, often felt when looking at something ravaged by time.

It is the same with our watches. Used daily our watches collect scratches, dents, and scars that weather them. It's bitter to scratch a watch, but it's sweet years later to see a scar and remember the fishing trip one was on when it happened. That's a shibui feeling.

Just like our clothes becomes more a part of us each time we wear them, so it is with our watches. The bumps and bruises they pick up over time become a record of our lives. Sort of like the lines on our faces as we age. That is what makes them, and us, unique. We may long for youth, for unmarred beauty -- but the imperfections add a quality of shibusa, or bitterness, that looked at the right way is paradoxically sweet.

You can read more here: http://www.g-peopleland.com/wabi.html

Don't feel so bad, it's unique to you now, and only you and those of us here know it struck a cast iron tub. :-D

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post04 Feb 2014, 14:49

Not bad....

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Feb 2014, 21:04

I think it turned out okay, face looks nice and clean now. :-D

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post09 Feb 2014, 01:29

Thanks. It is growing on me too :-)

Look on the bright side - I found a local guy who will make custom crystals for me and fit them, cheap. And now it has accumulated lots of wabi.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 Feb 2014, 01:32

Good job,

redid my 73 Celica that I bought in 74. Removed all the branding from it so now it is mistaken for an Alpha Romeo!

Return to Mechanical