It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:02

Removing a Seiko 0124-0049 module from the caseback?

Discuss problems, tricks and hints on case restoration, tools,watch buttons and tools.
  • Author

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Removing a Seiko 0124-0049 module from the caseback?

Post25 Jan 2014, 13:44

Hello guys,
Im having a very hard time figuring out how to remove the 0124-0049 module from the caseback of the watch.
I need to remve the stem, but the stem unlock screw is only accessible from the inside if the caseback/back part of the module.
I have been looking at another 0124 movement I have here and I cant see how there is another way to release the stem but by the screw, there is no lever to push from the lcd side of the watch (nor there is one on the backside of the movement)

From experience I know that the solution is often simple and straight forward.. but I don't see this one .. :scratch:

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Removing a Seiko 0124-0049 module from the caseback?

Post25 Jan 2014, 13:56

I think you have to open it from the front...flip the top off and access from above.

edit : found a picture :-D

Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jan 2014, 14:19

Hi Kasper, thanks
Im having the watch in the situation you pictured (but without the plastic retaining ring). Cant figure out how do remove the stem though...

Edit: By the way.. im looking for the correct bracelet = end links for the watch. If anyone have one laying around im very interested.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jan 2014, 15:40

Download the 0124 technical manual- a quick google search will find one of the many sites hosting it. There are two slightly different ways of releasing the 0124 stem (depends on the case style) and both are detailed in the technical. Be careful when depressing the setting lever spring- it is quite fragile and if you break it almost impossible to replace!

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jan 2014, 15:45

Thanks Tom, I have the manual, but only noticed the screw method. Ill have a look for another manual. There are two models 0124, one with date on the right (model im working on) and one with the date on the left (accessable from the downside). I probably took the wrong manual.

Edit: I have been looking in my own manual stock and online, but I haven't been able to find the manual for the accessing from the topside, unfortunately.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post25 Jan 2014, 19:44

Seiko kid must know the answer.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post25 Jan 2014, 20:43

Funny enough I have just done one. What a horrible set up.

If you twist the white plastic shroud off of the caseback. Its held on by small lips on each corner.

If you look to the left hand side of the stem and your really luck there should be a small loop of wire showing. If you can see this try pushing it down gently and pulling the crown and stem at the same time. Again if you are lucky the stem will be released and you'll be able to get at the module.

My loop had broken but there was still a small piece left that I could push down and this still worked.

If you get stuck I'll post some photos.

regards

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jan 2014, 21:04

Thanks Adam. I was afraid that this is one of the very few Seiko's with stem with a 'flaw' considering removal of the movement..
As this small loop/spring is often broken and one of the main reasons of this movement getting defective im considering now to leave the movement in the case and work on the case back (re-brush) with the movement still in place.
Unfortunately it wont give me the opportunity to grease the gasket, but im taking that for granted.
I recently bought a load of nos crystals for this watch on the bay (and a few other 0124 models with the same crystal) at once. This particular model I bought recently does not have a bracelet. But I am restoring it anyway, as the 0124-0049 doesn't pop up on Ebay very often with a working clean movement, a none affected lcd panel, and in good shape. This one only has a bit of rainbow on the polarizing filter.

If anyone has a crappy worn and defective model laying around but with a bracelet and end links in reasonable condition (scratches, no dents and twisting on the endlinks), im very interested.

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Feb 2014, 00:10

The 'end result'; refurbished case and new old stock crystal.
I think I also found an original bracelet, keeping my fingers crossed.

Return to Mechanical