It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:35

2 interesting Fairchilds

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

2 interesting Fairchilds

Post07 Aug 2006, 18:30

Sent these to Guy Ball...for posterity. Is that rectangle one an Omega want-to-be or what?! Both have gold matte finish with mineral glass crystals. Had to hijack some Commodor modules for these...Fairchild guts are such trash IMO.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Re: 2 interesting Fairchilds

Post07 Aug 2006, 21:04

little1up,

These look excellent, just one tip if I may.

I've fitted quite a few watches with these Commodore modules and I've found if a couple of bits of black electrical tape are stuck above and below the bubble lenses it masks the electrical tracks of the module and makes the display look better.

In your pics you can see them quite clearly.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post07 Aug 2006, 23:36

Good tip Klippie, though I think the real problem is the bright lights I have them under here...those are extremely dark glass lens...which show nothing under normal lighting.
Here is how I modify the modules to accomodate for the bulging lens and the short, original contact area:
1. Pull contacts off a dead module, cut the contacts in half at the top loop(where they are bent over on most brands).
2.(Picture 1)Slip the contact into the pocket where the factory rubber contact(B) is, right over the rubber - do this from the display side, slipping it in with the cut end last and it's curved end away from the button area.
3.Dab a little little silver based epoxy onto the rubber contact before sliding together and under the cut end to ensure good contact and to lock the contact piece down - although, the width of most Hughes modules contact material fits very snuggly into the Commodor contact pocket. A pointed object will help you get it tucked neatly in(A).
4 (Picture 2)Slip a thin, hard plastic ring below the buttons in the case, to lift these fairly thin modules away from the inner face of the case - and to make room for the bulging magnifiers. Since the contacts now extend to the front face of the module, whatever distance this ring is below the buttons, is the amount of contact area available for the button to touch.... 8) Voila!
Pictures below.
Last edited by retroleds on 08 Aug 2006, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post08 Aug 2006, 00:12

That looks like a very good solution to convert the Commodore module to fit in the Fairchild case, well done.

I'am trying to develop a Commodore conversion for Pulsar watches just now and have noticed if you very carefully split apart the module you will find the rubber contacts push against two pads which can be soldered to for mounting custom contact strips for most types of watch case as long as they are 27mm+ diameter.

These modules are cheap and quite plentiful for playing with?.have fun.

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions