It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:12

Interesting early Ladies Compu Chron LCD

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Interesting early Ladies Compu Chron LCD

Post09 Aug 2006, 17:14

This one has an interesting setting system - as you push the setter to each mode(hour,minute, month,day) you just wait about 3-4 seconds and the numbers start counting uup, then you push the time button to stop it. And the seconds always reverts to "0" when you hit the final setting...great for setting to "exact time".

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Interesting early Ladies Compu Chron LCD

Post10 Aug 2006, 12:05

Nice looking watch and a really neat way of setting the time. Is is steel ? It looks almost bronze in the photo but I'll not make assumptions again after my last one. :roll:

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post10 Aug 2006, 12:13

Stainless/Chrome with 3 faceted crystal - flat face with about a 10 degree bevel toward each side...hard to show in a straight on shot. The lines you see around the edge are not what I mean(those are underpainted on the face)...imagine a line from top to bottom, running right even with the sides of the actual display.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Aug 2006, 12:40

Gotcha, I didn't really think it could be bronze but sometimes photos turn out really different from reality. I do like the shape - reminds me of a witt polara 2 - my personal fave of all leds (just got my first in the post yesterday :D - even better in the metal).

Indeed, apart from steel and gold, have you ever found a watch made of something other out of curiousity. I ask as you are always collecting :wink: and must have some real oddballs in your collection.

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post10 Aug 2006, 14:35

Hi,

I personnaly have a full plastic Texas Instruments!

:roll:
The eye of the master,
Does more than bote his hands.

L'oeil du ma?tre
Fait mieux que ses deux mains.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post10 Aug 2006, 19:24

Other than Texas Instruments and a GP sideview which both have plastic cases, I have nothing interesting to report on case materials. I am always surprised that some manufacturer didn't make a high-end piece trimmed with mother-of-pearl, or some tight-grained wood like coco-bolo,ebony or rosewood. Or just set in a few semi-precious stones. The cases are generally much thicker than need be so an inlay of 1-1.5 mm could have worked fine. I recently picked up a odd Timeband piece that has two inserts of red crystal material set into pockets on the front face - I'd carefully dug them out to polish them along with the crystal when I got to it, but maybe I'll get creative. :idea: Modify a Bulova sideview with the crystal sripe down the top...find one that is well-worn, sandblast the remaining gold plate off, throw away the crystal "stripe", powder coat(baked finish,very hard) the case black and then set in a strip of nice burled wood with a small gold/brass strip along each edge. Yeah baby, just the thing for the chap with a black Mercedes with burled wood interior accents. 8)

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Aug 2006, 20:47

I suspect that in the 70's steel and gold were the high end products, and plastic was the wonder of the decade. Mother of pearl at that time may have seemed dated and old fashioned - it was certainly favoured by my Granny and her stuff was way older than the 70's. But time moves on, your idea sounds like a great wee project for a tatty case to be customised. Pimp my watch ???

I've done some casting in Aluminium but nothing like a case. Bronze would be cool, or pewter. Cast iron for a weighty watch? Nightmare to drill into or thread etc.

Try Rotolog on ebay....surfs up dude :!:

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions